Advice re signing off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had some extensive work done on our house consisting of a loft conversion and ground floor extension.
Builders own electricians did the extension electrics, 1st fix, commission and 2nd fix. All that remains is for them to complete the sign off

My own electrician [friend] did the loft electrics as we were doing most of the loft internals ourselves so could work at our speed and do work at the weekends. He completed 1st fix, commission and 2nd fix. This work was overseen by his boss and his boss did the testing and will shortly be issuing the certificate

When the builders electricians started work they wanted to fit a second consumer unit so that they could 'ring fence' their own work and were a bit funny about having two electricians working on different parts of the installation. I objected to the second CU as there was plenty of space in the existing metal CU as this has only fairly recently been fitted. There also wasn't sufficient room in the cupboard for this to be done either.
They agreed to fit the new circuits to the existing CU, and all was well.

They are now saying that they wont sign off their own work as another [my] electrician has done work on the board and that he can sign it all off.
The board has a split RCD and the new loft and extension circuits are spread across both RCDs

My argument is that my electrician cannot sign off their work as he has not designed and installed it.

Were now at an impasse as this is the final thing that BC are waiting for to sign off the works. Final bill from the builders has not currently been paid, pending final BC sign off.

Can anyone advise on what the correct position is here and suggest a best course of action?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Rubbish. The builders spark knows exactly what they have touched

They owe you a MWC for each changed circuit or an EIC for new circuits

If they are in a competent person scheme, niceic or napit etc call them and let them deal with it, worse case they will/should send another contractor to finish off the work.

Tell the current sparky your intentions they will probably change their minds and get it done/maybe.

Good luck.

Don’t pay.
Final bills are pending BC sign off, so wont be paying until this is resolved
If they are in a competent person scheme, niceic or napit etc call them and let them deal with it, worse case they will/should send another contractor to finish off the work.

Tell the current sparky your intentions they will probably change their minds and get it done/maybe.

Good luck.
I have queried specifically why they cant sign off their own circuits, will see what the response is...

Sponsored Links
I have queried specifically why they cant sign off their own circuits, will see what the response is...
Probably because he isnt in a scheme and cant, but I don't always agree with that I'm not in a scheme as I'm mostly industrial so I can install a 400 amp supply in a factory but not a 32 amp circuit in a house.
But rules are rules I suppose.

Probably because he isnt in a scheme and cant, but I don't always agree with that I'm not in a scheme as I'm mostly industrial so I can install a 400 amp supply in a factory but not a 32 amp circuit in a house.
But rules are rules I suppose.
They're NAPIT - I think they're just being funny because they didn't get the whole job. Could be wrong though

Not so.

You just might have to notify the LA but you may do the work; anyone may.
Yes but isnt it costly and for a smallish job say 1 circuit it would be cheaper to pay someone else, no?

When I had to make out an installation certificate where others had been also working on the circuit I simply put it in the comments box, and the LABC accepted the certificate, maybe they shouldn't have, but the did.

Let us know the outcome please.
Thankfully all resolved now. Builders got the electricians back round to do their final testing. A week or so later we received the EIC and then a few days after that we received the final completion certificate from building control.
All's well that ends well. Thanks for all advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back