Can press

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I am even in the right forum for this one!!! maybe someone could give advice!
I want to possibly make buy or adapt something that would allow me to flatten standard size drinks cans (coke or 7 up type size)
Basically want a trough width and length of cans with a press that would give me a flat rectangle of aluminium, i need to process hundreds of these so as anyone an idea as to where i begin to look???
All help appreciated.

Russell

Sponsored Links
I bought one off Amazon, pretty standard affair that you operate with your foot, push foot down - can squashed, it works OK, I'm guess if you have hundreds to process then something powered is what you're looking for? Surely google is your starting point?

Loads on YouTube.....this is a good one that can do a good sized cube instead of the single can at a type kind.

Last edited:
hi , thanks for replies but i havent explained it properly!!! I wish to crush a can flat so I end up with a perfect rectangle of aluminium, i imagine this would need heavy tooling...the flattened cans (dont laugh) are to roof a shed, think small slates. yes i know!!

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few guides on the web as for repurposing tin cans as roof shingles, they look superior to crushing into magic rectangles.

Last edited:
hi , thanks for replies but i havent explained it properly!!! I wish to crush a can flat so I end up with a perfect rectangle of aluminium, i imagine this would need heavy tooling...the flattened cans (dont laugh) are to roof a shed, think small slates. yes i know!!

Tough leather gloves, a pair of scissors, poke the pointy end of scissors, through the can wall, cut the base off, then cut up the can, finally cut the top away. Flatten it out, and you have an alloy shingle. It only takes a minute, I've done several, to use as shims. Test each can with a magnet, before you start, some cans a thin steel, will be no use for shingles.

Do you want them single skin or double skin?
Two thick plates on a fly-press to flatten them and a sheet metal cutting guillotine to trim the end straight. If you want single skin, you also need to trim both sides to give you two shingles.
Oh, and a magnet. You need to use aluminium cans only, as tin ones will soon show signs of rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back