What can I do with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to turn this into an airing cupboard but there's a few problems. The sides are thermalite block but the plaster isn't too clever. I can either patch it up or cover it with board of some sort. Board would also give something to fix shelves to. Problem with boards is the width isn't massive and I don't really want to loose any width. Also theres the heating controls to go around. The shelves need to be removable to service the boiler so I'm thinking a simple frame (latted shelves not solid) on runners at the sides so they can all pull out.

Any idea's?

Attachments

• 20170607_163503.jpg
    20170607_163503.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20170607_163458.jpg
    20170607_163458.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
Could build free standing mdf unit (18mm ) and mount on wheels so you can pull the whole thingy out for access . Build a short platform to tuck down the side to allow floor levels to match.

Might be worth browsing ikea or b and q type sites for mesh wardrobe type shelving

You could cut a board for the back to hide the pipes, removable for access- personally I'd just paint the whole lot with white emulsion

My airing cupboard has 2x1 screwed to the walls as shelf support and 2x1 slatted shelves that drop in

Sponsored Links
I did the same as Tigercub; 2x1 screwed to the blockwork, and then a made some 2x1 shelves with 1" gaps for airflow, and they just lift off the side supports. But I left the pipes at the back bare to provide heat for the clothes when it was cold, so I wouldn't put anything at the back.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to repair the plaster, paint and use 2x1 to make removeable shelves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back