Under Stair Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to build a cupboard under the angled stairway in my narrow hall which (see illustrations below) will have an area behind the shelves for storage. The under-stair recess is sloped to floor level at one end and 2.05M high (ceiling height) at the other. Width 230. Depth 90cm.

I had thought about building a softwood frame and boxing that in with ply but now believe I could use 18mm MDF instead (any thoughts?)

I want to front the cupboard with shelves facing the passage to display my glass collection - preferably on glass shelves underlit with halogens. I also intend to create an access door at the open end - hinged at the wall.

My main issue is that the dog-leg configuration of the hallway means it may necessary to be able to move the shelves back into the stairway recesss in order to get large objects past (e.g. a Sofa) to back of the flat.

Therefore I am looking something that can be locked in place to the floor and stairs but moved into the recess as needed. I thought of either floor tracks or wheels that can be locked when required.

The door to the storage area will be hinged from the wall so that the cupboard is separate.

The floor is smooth laminate.

Questions

1. Is MDF suitable for this and if so - what should I use to join it.
2. Would locking castors be enough to hold the unit it in place or should I look at floor/ceiling bolts as well.
3. Would a track work better than castors

Any suggestions for suppliers or solutions would be welcomed.

Regards

Paul
cupboard3.jpg

cupboard4.jpg

Sponsored Links
You screw and glue MDF. It does seem like your making things difficult for yourself. Why not put a display case on the wall you have 'Hallway' marked on....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back