Insulation question: meter cupboard under stairs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on insulation, I hope this is the right forum, apologies if not.

I've had my loft and cavities insulated, but I've still got problems with cold/heat loss in my stair well.

The problem is that my meter cupboard is accessible from the house exterior via a pair of wooden doors, and the cupboard is directly beneath a half-landing on my stairs.

The result of this is that although my cavities are fully insulated I'm still losing a tremendous amount of heat through the floor of my stairs and half-landing.

Any suggestions on how best to insulate this?

Ideas I've had so far include fixing insulation to the inside of the doors, fixing insulation to the "ceiling" of the meter cupboard, or just filling the entire cupboard with insulation material, leaving enough space to access the meters and fuse box.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Ensure the doors are a good fit and fit viewing windows to read meters , then screw doors shut.

Your best bet is to insulate the underneath of the stairs and landing.
There is no point in insulating the doors to the cupboard or doing anything else as you do not want to waste heat, heating a basically unused cupboard.
You will find that polyurethane foam sprayed over everything, at least one inch thick will help, five inches will do as good as it gets.

Your best bet is to insulate the underneath of the stairs and landing.
There is no point in insulating the doors to the cupboard or doing anything else as you do not want to waste heat, heating a basically unused cupboard.
You will find that polyurethane foam sprayed over everything, at least one inch thick will help, five inches will do as good as it gets.

Ooooh. That sounds like an excellent idea. Is that a DIY job, or should I get pros in to do it?

Ta v much!!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back