Kitchen cupboard interior looking worn... can I renovate it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen doors are fine, it's the inside is the problem. The edges of the shelves and frame where the top layer wrap (MFC? thermofoil?) meet have become grubby, and it really stands out on white cabinets. Is there a good way to touch them up? Spending £££ on new carcasses seems a lot just to refresh a tired looking cupboard - and even if I replace them, I guess I'll just get the same problem a few years down the line, right?

It's not just the interior of cupboards, it's also end pieces for example on the tall unit housing the fridge, and various filler pieces of board.

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

View media item 106997
View media item 106996

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your best and probably cheapest option with shelves is simply to replace them with cut to size MFC

When you say your cupboards are "tired" looking, what do you mean? If they are grubby it is possible to remove the doors, thoroughly clean and degrease them with sugar soap. Kitchens that are used do tend to pick up grease and grime and a thorough cleaning might be enough. If not, then you could repaint the interiors and edges with a paint which adheres to melamine, even traditional milk paint could be used. To improve durability it may be best to cover the bottom shelf surfaces with paper - like your granny probably did - although these days "sticky back plastic" (self adhesive vinyl) might be more appropriate, or just plastic sheet (polycarbonate, acrylic) or thin (8mm) MFC inserts could be laid on the bottom shelf for protection

Decor panels and doors are a different matter. Any idea what yours are? MFC? Foil-wrapped? Vacuum foiled? Again they can be degreased and painted but the exact techniques and paints used depends on the type of surface. Another possibility is to have them rewrapped in vinyl if they are in good enough condition - this can be a colour a pattern or even a piece of artwork, from the Mona Lisa to a Ferrari F430, or a picture of clouds to your holiday snaps. Plinths are easier to just replace, or to overclad with something like self adhesive metallic foil covers

You can get various capping trims for MFC boards which may be worth a look at.

Sponsored Links
Plinths are easier to just replace, or to overclad with something like self adhesive metallic foil covers

My plinths were looking tired a few months back - I simply took them off and repainted them with matt black paint outdoors. They look absolutely fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back