Can RCDs function as CU's isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question - not planning to do anything myself.

Does a CU require an isolator module and an RCD if all the circuits are on the RCD (ie isolator->rcd->mcbs)? The reason for doing this would be to free up extra MCB space or to allow for a pre-17th split load box to have two RCDs (one for each neutral block) without losing module space.

The only functionality that I can you losing is the ability to isolate the RCD if it failed and needed replacing. But as replacing an RCD is in the same league as fitting a CU in terms of required competency, whoever does the job would have to isolate the CU the alternative way (pulling main fuse or unscrewing load from henley block).

Views?

Sponsored Links
My understanding of the situation is.

RCDs can be and often are used as main switches for consumer units.

However generally there should be one device which isolates everything in a consumer unit and if there isn't then there needs to be clear warnings to inform the user of this fact and how they should isolate things.

If you are feeding the second RCD from the load side of the first, there would need to be discrimination between the RCD's or a fault could trip the whole installation which isn't allowed. If both RCD's you mention are supplying final circuits with a 30mA trip and normal disconnection times then I don't think you can do this.

If you are feeding the second RCD from the feed side of the first there would need to be a nearby main switch to isolate the whole installation.

If you replace the main switch in a traditional split-load CU with an RCD then the 2nd one will be downstream of it....

Sponsored Links
You could create a dual tariff board

Meter tails into a 100A main switch in separate enclosure
This goes into a henley block
two sets of meter tails one set to each of the two RCDs with their associated circuits

That way you have a single point of isolation and 17th edition compliant (oh yes it is, oh no it isnt ;) ) CU.

Just make sure you clearly label which switch does what..............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back