Can robots replace real workers

Sponsored Links
They are if you take out the weak link ... humans. I think smart motorways should be banned for now, however in years to come with advances in self automated vehicles, no reason why the concept can't return.

You don't get it & I don't think you will ever get it.

There will never be any such thing as a self driving car unless you take out the (you call it weak) link which is us, Humans.

If you want self driving cars on our roads, we cannot be allowed on the same road.

What do you want? What do you want those cars to be doing without us? What is it that you want?

" want" in that context is meaningless surely...it never needs to want or not.Ever.Same as a car or train never needs to decide to go.

Almost every decision you make, & you make billions every minute you are awake, includes your decision of whether or not you want to actually do something. I can only think of your heartbeat that is out of your control, & there are people out there who can control their own heartbeat !

Have we left this subject already? Does it bore you?

I find it fascinating & an almost perfect insight into just how easily we can be fooled into accepting something that deep down we know to be nonsense.

Most of you will accept the AI customer service drone because (A) You already do & (B) Because you are far too stupid to recognise it as their latest version of AI & not a real person.

If it's OK to correspond with AI to sort out your leccy bill, is it equally OK to let one teach your children? Would you ask one for marital advice like some of you have been discussing your mental health issues with one recently? Would you respect the commands of a Police AI? Would you trust an AI politician?

Why not? You already (to some degree) are.

Sponsored Links
Post Y2k there was a big push to move call centres to India. Chatbots have enabled a reverse of this, with the basic grunt work that was done by call centres now being automated by 'bot.

Also they are pretty easy to write. You certainly don't need to be a programmer of any standard to write a chatbot skill.
Very true, the fun bit is that you've been able to do things like voice recognition or chat bots for years, decades even. Of course it was mostly terrible and hideously expensive.

What's changed in more recent years is that the level of reuse and comoditisation of computer code. The underlying components have been packaged up as services and so instead of reinventing the wheel each time you rent one off the shelf for a fraction of s penny per use.

What used to be a million pound two year project is now a hundred grand using some services on AWS. And because of that previously impractical challenges are now trivial. Or for a Chat bot, two hours following a guide on Microsoft Azure.

In effect we're finally starting to reduce the human component of producing software. Which either means that 19 out of 20 IT people are going to get laid off, which has started to happen, or they'll find ways to demonstrate their value by doing more work and automating everyon else's jobs away even faster.

Last edited:
The idea that automation and machines can't completely replace humans is fairly naive.

It relies on survivorship bias because any job that has been automated away is hard to identify as no one does it, and it ignores that automation is a logarithmic progression, while there may be a handful of switchboard operators in existence I'll bet the number of them is steadily decreasing even now. Better voice recognition and machine learning will probably drop their number by a further 95%

The other trick is to overly generalise roles, there may still be people whose job is to duplicate paperwork or transcribe notes but having a typing poool whose sole job was to re-type things to make additional copies is dead.

Human intelligence is frequently overrated when analysed fully. It has been too expensive in the past to perform that analysis and use it in practice but that's changing.

The idea that automation and machines can't completely replace humans is fairly naive.

You are not only wrong, you are horribly wrong.

Everything that followed the nonsense I quoted is just you trying to justify the way they have made you feel.

Would you vote for an AI politician?

On your train of thought, one day all of our politicians will be AI. Is it because they are immaculately perfect & only they can be trusted with our political decisions?

You are not only wrong, you are horribly wrong.

Everything that followed the nonsense I quoted is just you trying to justify the way they have made you feel.

Would you vote for an AI politician?

On your train of thought, one day all of our politicians will be AI. Is it because they are immaculately perfect & only they can be trusted with our political decisions?
A role is not the same as any role. Just because you can't replace a particular role doesn't mean you can't replace a different one.

A role is not the same as any role. Just because you can't replace a particular role doesn't mean you can't replace a different one.

So, are you saying that the robot that picks a component from one location & places it in another cannot ever become a politician?

Do we have a word yet for those of us who are anti-robot, robot racists perhaps?

How can AI possibly hope to replace humans if they cannot become our politicians? After all, we all recognise it as one of the lowest forms of life there is.

If they make a robot sex companion that costs 100k that cooks and cleans.............much cheaper than a wife. (and less moaning)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Almost every decision you make, & you make billions every minute you are awake, includes your decision of whether or not you want to actually do something. I can only think of your heartbeat that is out of your control, & there are people out there who can control their own heartbeat !
100s of human functions you don’t control consciously. Immune response, hormone production, digestion, hair growth, repair, iris muscles, muscle spasm etc etc.

You don't get it & I don't think you will ever get it.

There will never be any such thing as a self driving car unless you take out the (you call it weak) link which is us, Humans.

If you want self driving cars on our roads, we cannot be allowed on the same road.

What do you want? What do you want those cars to be doing without us? What is it that you want?
Literally lol. This will be my last comment to you in this thread. I SOOooo wish we could fast forward a century so I could watch you eat quite a few of your words ;)

Imagine robot police officers...
I'd become a criminal myself just for the pleasure of short circuit them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amazon is experimenting with a humanoid robot as the technology company increasingly seeks to automate its warehouses. It has started testing Digit, a two-legged robot that can grasp and lift items, at facilities this week. The device is first being used to shift empty tote boxes.

Tye Brady, the chief technologist at Amazon Robotics, claimed that – although it will render some jobs redundant – the deployment of robots would create new ones.

Digit was developed by Agility Robotics, a startup based in Corvallis, Oregon, and backed by Amazon. The robot, which can walk forwards, backwards and sideways, and can crouch – is 5ft 9in (175cm) tall and weighs 143lb (65kg). It can carry up to 35lb (16kg).

I, Human@the Gurnadina

A city in Japan is tackling a rise in truancy with the help of a robot assistant that officials hope will encourage absentee children to attend classes remotely and eventually coax them back to school.

The future is here.https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/oct/18/amazon-drone-delivery-uk-italy

Sponsored Links
Back