Can routers stop virus and malware ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ISP is talktalk and I use their generic fibreoptic router.

If a router can stop the nasties getting on your Windows pc, how should the router be configured for this ?

Sponsored Links
No it cannot.

Get some antivirus & anti malware software.

Malwarebytes and Avast are free and good enough.

Many thanks mattylad

I use Avast and Spywareterminator which together do a stirling job in my opinion.

Many thanks mattylad

I use Avast and Spywareterminator which together do a stirling job in my opinion.

How do you know they do a stirling job ? Do you constantly court malware and virus attacks ?
I cruise the net with a passion, try freeby programs etc ... I get the occasional PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) warning from Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware. But thus far after a lot of years - SFA.
Do you mean that because you have no warnings or obvious problems, your AV / AM software is actually extinguishing problems before you 'see' them ? Dream on ! If they think they have the signature of a nasty you'll get the full bells and whistles job.
Not being nasty here, but I would love to know how you know.

-0-

Sponsored Links
I don't profess any expert knowledge, I merely state from my own experience.

A while ago my brother in law, who had other antivirus on his pc, was attacked by the cryptolocker while my sister, using the same internet router, with AV and SWT on her pc, which I installed, was not attacked.

The answer is not unfortunately simply most routers offer no virus / malware protection but some (cisco) do.

I don't profess any expert knowledge, I merely state from my own experience.

A while ago my brother in law, who had other antivirus on his pc, was attacked by the cryptolocker while my sister, using the same internet router, with AV and SWT on her pc, which I installed, was not attacked.

I also use Avast Free and Malwarebytes and have done for years without ever having had any problems.

Perhaps, as empip suggests, I have just been very lucky and no-one has ever tried to attack me!

Wing, prayer and a bucket of 'snake oil' then ? Welcome to the clan !!

-0-

I only have access to t'internet via my moby but cisco and some linksys routers have anti virus capabilites.

I only have access to t'internet via my moby but cisco and some linksys routers have anti virus capabilites.

They have no way to prevent code execution, nor remove files from a machine.

Sorry bub, I think you've fallen for the marketing bullshit.

They have no way to prevent code execution, nor remove files from a machine.

Sorry bub, I think you've fallen for the marketing bulls**t.

Hmm, I guess on balance I see what your saying, how does a router piece together the packets its sent into a virus signature. I'll do a little more digging on a low priority thread, but I suspect you're probably correct. Anyhow I think we agree, research (low priority notwithstanding) that the consensus is that routers know little to nothing about the "content" (ports again notwithstanding) of what is being routed through them.

Sponsored Links
Back