Wireless Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Medion Laptop with Windows Vista OS. My ISP is TalkTalk and I use their WIreless Router manufactured by D-Link.
After Staurt up, a wireless connection is established and everything operates adequately. If I leave my laptop and it goes to sleep, when I wake it up I regularly find I have lost the wireless connection. The 'Connect to a Network' screen reports that windows cannot find a signal with the diagnoses that I am out of range or the router has failed.
I am not out of range as I am sat next to the router and the router is operating correctly with all of the indicationg lights showing it is OK.
I then cannot re-establish a wireless connection other than doing a restart.
I ahve tried switching off the wireless function at my laptop and then back on again without success, I have tried a reset on the Connect to a Network window without success. If I plug in the Ethernet connection then all is fine, but I just can't re-establish a wireless connection unless I do a restart.
I have spoken to Talktalk who blame WIndows Vista, I have talkes to
Microsoft who blame Medion, Medion blame, Talktalk.
I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to know who is to blame. As with all of these type of problems everybody blames everybody else, and leaves us the customer no further forward.
I would accept that the wireless function drops off, if only I could do something other than a restart to re-establish wireless operation.
Can anybody Please advice me if there is anything I could do.

Sponsored Links
Right click on the icon and then click on Network and Sharing Centre at the bottom. Once the window opens in the left hand column click on Manage network connections once that window opens up right click on your wireless connection and click Disable. Give it a minute and right click again and select Enable.

Thanks Daozen,
I have done your procedure whilst I have a wireless connection and it seems to work, i.e it disables the connection and then enables it, and that is the first time I have managed that. I wll try the exact same procedure when I next lose the wireless connection and let you know if it is successful.
I have tried to find such a procedure for over 12 months now and at last you seem to have solved the problem
Thanks a Million

I have a similar problem with my laptop, but only happens if I shut-down and restart, wireless looses connection and fault shown in hardware, disable , then re enable works sometimes, sometimes have to reinstall driver for wireless card, and then restart, sometimes reseating the wirelss chip solves it,sometimes none of these work and loose wirelss for a few days, get error message device failed to start and recently tried a wireless usb dongle as a work around but that too failed to start, not sure whats going wrong [the same usb dongle works without problem in my other laptop and desktop so it's not faulty] something seems to stop anything wireless from starting.It's an old NS4200.

Sponsored Links
Hi Daozen,
Thanks again, my wireless connection failed as described, Did you procedure and hey presto, wireless connection re-established.

@Hysteresis

Glad to help. Some wireless nic have problems with sleep/hibernation. All you're doing sort of rebooting it.

@foxhole

Have you ever updated the drivers for your wireless card?

What security do you have on the laptop?

Hi Daozen
Please excuse my ignorance but what is 'nic' an abbreviation for.

Have latest drivers, my IT tell me they have this problem with all the old nc4200's the older nc4000 also had flaky wireless.
Have symantec endpoint protection .

If there's a problem with the onboard wireless card, you could disable it and buy an external USB or PC Card device ;)

''you could disable it and buy an external USB or PC Card device''

See my original post , already tried that.

''you could disable it and buy an external USB or PC Card device''

See my original post , already tried that.

Apologies, I missed that part. Just to be clear, did you disable the on-board wireless adaptor when you tried the USB one?

Sponsored Links
Back