Can someone explain off peak on peak water heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have just moved into a new apartment which has water heating that I have never experienced before and I am very confused! It's a pulsacoil and it has a off peak and on peak switch, no timer, just two switches. I have no clue how this works, what's the difference between the two? And I switched the on peak on earlier and finally got some hot water but then was advised to turn it off because due to the time I would unlikely be to use hot water. I'm so confused. So what if in the middle of the night i want a hot shower or bath? Would I not be able to?
If someone would be so kind to explain it in stupid persons language that would be amazing and greatly appreciated.
I have always lived places where you turn on the hot tap and get instant hot water, not all this weird peak and off peak and restrictions!
Any help would be great
X

Sponsored Links
In theory you have two different electricity tariffs.

Off peak is between certain hours at night and will heat the whole store.

Peak is during the day and more expensive. . Although should only heat half to a third. . Use this only as and when and bear in mind that it could take a good while to get anything useful out of this.

Check your energy bills to make sure you are on the cheapest "economy 7" style contract.

Ask a couple of neighbours and see what they're paying.

Then guage the value of your 'arris on the street so you can include that as a means to pay the leccy bill.

Also see if solar PV is an option.

Or just move.

I literally moved in yesterday :unsure: I have only had hot water tonight after the top bit needed filling up with water. But when I first did that I still had no hot water. I went to the gym for a few hours, came back and still none. It was only when I put the on peak switch on did it come through after another few hours. I actually had both switches on. When do I have to switch to off peak then? And basically does it mean I don't have constant hot water? Sorry I know I sound thick, just never lived anywhere with thus kind of thing before.

Sponsored Links
Leave the off peak on all the time. . The electricity meter sorts out when to turn it on.

The peak should be considered a boost. And used only when you run out. . But allow a good 45 minutes. . It is a. 3kw element from memory so to heat 60 litres of water will take roughly 90 minutes. . I'll work it out in a minute. . What exact model is it? . And how many litres?

If you start from cold, leave the off peak on over night, the theory is that you have enough hot water to see you through. . In practice though it depends on the size of the tank and the amount you use.

If you have need of a manual. Check Gledhill's website or send me an email address.

A good electrician could also fit you a user friendly timer to bring the boost on foa short period to top up the hot water at the end of the day.

It's a pulsa coil 111. No idea of the size. It looks big though if that is an indicator! I have literally had two cold showers since yesterday (a few hot ones at the gym!) when I turned the on peak off though I noticed when I ran the tap to wash something up it was cold, maybe I had not run it for long enough though. I guess I will find out in the morning what the deal is (praying for a hot shower) thanks for your help, it's been useful. I just need to get my head round it all (I now am starting to wish I had moved somewhere else!)

Heating water by 40 degrees with 3kw. Will nett you about 1 litre every minute.

That's 40 degrees from where it starts from.

The thermostats should limit it to 60 degrees.

There is a blending valve to bring this down to something more comfortable.

These valves, and the system as a whole is very susceptible to limescale. . Make you have a decent water treatment device

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back