Can someone please help me understand how to put this light fixture back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm probably being completely stupid but I replaced a few bulbs in my ceiling light and I can't put the light covers back on. When I take each cover off it comes in two parts, the cover itself and a small plastic circular thing. I've taken pics of them below. I'd be really grateful if someone could advise how to put them back on because it's driving me mad. Thank you!

20200907_191654.jpg
20200907_191625.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do the glass shades have moulded lugs inside, to engage with the notches in the plastic nuts?

I had something similar quite a few years ago and to fit the shade lock rings the manufacturers supplied a special forked tube that you used as a spanner to lock them FINGER TIGHT.
Did you buy these lights? If so, you should have got the tool.
Alternatively you can make a home made one from the right sized diameter plastic tubing. You need to cut the end of the tubing so you end up with 2 'prongs' at the right position on the end of the tube. There are other methods, if you can visualise the set up, that you may be able to devise that will work. e.g. 2 thin lengths of wood set the correct distance apart with 2 cross straps to form a frame work which you then slide down the inside over the bulb and use as a form of end spanner.

How did you get them off in the first place?

Thanks for your replies guys. I've taken a few more pics to make it clearer. I think conny is on the right track, I need to make a device that will be able to screw the plastic nut. I bought this a few years ago and it was applied by builders. They didn't give me the tool afterwards unfortunately, so I have nothing to use. It's a bit crazy to me that this would be so complicated! But hey ho, the pics are below.
Screenshot_20200907-194708.png
20200907_194843.jpg
20200907_194832.jpg
20200907_194811.jpg
20200907_194651.jpg
20200907_195106.jpg

Sponsored Links
How did you unscrew them without the tool, you only need to get it started then flick it round with a screwdriver, try not to touch the lamp or remove them first, women are usually better as they have smaller hands.

First time I came across these types of fitting was an empty property being reburbed. The design was a slightly domed plate with a number of the shades close fitted without any sort of arms. To get to the wiring all the shades had to be removed.
Next door was a parade of shops and a visit to a charity shop had me spending 10p on a dinner fork, removed 2 tines and adjusted the others. - it worked a treat and I even left it with a label in with the draw full of documentation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back