can someone pls explain euro cylinders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm told I should fit these on the two exit doors you would need to open to leave my shop in the event of a fire. Had a look through previous posts and at photos but I still don't understand . . !

how do you fit them? (they are timber fire doors)

what do the measurements like 30/30 mean?

what should I be looking to spend on one? they seem to vary in prise hugely . .

thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
if it is for a fire exit I should think the person making the recommendation would mean the cylinders with a keyhole on one side and a thumbturn on the other, so you can get out without using a key.

You can also get Escape Locks which use an ordinary key from the outside rather than a Eurocylinder, but they are usually more expensive.

Eurocylinder locks are not very secure, so when the premises are unoccupied, you might prefer to use a BS mortice lock on your final exit door, and some bolts to supplement the lock on the other door.

Eurocylinders are quite cheap.

30/30 means the length of the cylinder from the centre of the lock to the outside edge of the escutcheon or handle on the outside is 30mm, and also 30mm to the inside escutcheon. On a wooden door you would normally fit the lock centrally with matching furniture so you would use equal lengths

You need a Eurocylinder mortice deadlock or sashlock case, which is morticed into the door like any lock, and buy a cylinder to match. You can get cylinders suited to the same key if you want.

you might be right John, it depends who told him, and why

here is an example case and a cylinder with outside key cylinder and inside thumbturn

p4761756_l.jpg

p4765353_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
thanks for swift replys guys . .

it was the fire service who told me to fit thumb turns . . . .

perhaps I'd be best to fit an extra mortice lock to the final door but keep it unlocked during opengin hours . .

best phone them back and ask

they hate finding piles of charred bodies pressed up against a lccked door :(

JohnD - you were spot on in your first post - fire service say they need the doors to be unlocked during service (er, obviously!) and easy to open - I don't need panic bars but they would prefer thumb turns . . . .so . . .

afraid I'm still a bit confused as to those measurements - one door is 35mm thick and the other 45mm . . .if a 35/35 is 35 mm from the centre to the outside/inside of lock, does it fit either of these doors?

wanted to order on screwfix, if I was starting from scratch with each door what would I order? A backplate, lock and thumbturn I guess, but which ones??

thanks again!!

a 35mm door is a thin internal door, usually very weak and not suitable as an external door.

External doors are usually about 44mm thick. Add a 6mm or so handle/escutcheon each side and you are up to 66mm or so. A 35/35 cylinder would project 2mm each side. The finished thickness, and depth of cylinder you need, depends on your choice of handle or escutcheon. It is better not to have the end of the cylinder poking out where it can be gripped and broken off using a simple housebreaker's tool.

If it was me I would be thinking of security so would probably use a pair of metal Kickstop reinforcers which are obtainable with a Eurocylinder aperture. They are bolted together from the inside. They are made of 7mm thick steel and sold in black, white, chrome and yellow metal finishes. Kickstop Lockguards are often available on ebay at half price.

Or for economy you could use a cheaper escutcheon or handle set. Measure the total thickness you will need including the door and both escutcheons.

If I was doing it for my business, I would consult a local locksmith who could supply and fit locks as a tax-deductable business expense.

Also remember Insurance companies may well require a lock which is key operated both sides.
A nightmare situation.
Get clarification from the fire service that you can have a key locked second lock that will be opened at open of business by a designated responsible person. With back up in case of illness.

The other advise is correct and top notch. Fit lockguards/kickstops always. Even on a standard lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back