Can someone tell me how to fit these lights?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I have 10 of these halogen down lights

I intend using them with the 240V lamp holders, not a 12V transformer (is any one safer than the other??)

So, how do I join them in sequence across my ceiling? The wires on each of the lamp holders isn't long enough to reach the next one, so do I need to buy some flex and join them all together using choc boxes or junction boxes? If so what sort of wire / cable do I need to purchase?

And how do I fit the first one in sequence to my mains cable? There are 3 cables hanging down from the hole where my single light was. What do I do with these?

Sponsored Links
There is a small terminal enclosure on the back of the fitting, you take the flyleads from the lampholder to this, then connect a short length of 3core 0.75mm² flex, you then take that to an ashley J201 jointbox (or equivelent) to connect to the t+e. The joint box is then small enough to go through the hole into the ceiling

I'm confused.

I can see the small black terminal enclosure on the lamp holder with the fly leads coming out of it but how do I connect the 3 core flex to it...with the J201? Do you mean I need a J201 or equivalent for each lamp?

What about the 3 mains cables already there...how do connect those to the first lamp?

Do you mean I need a J201 or equivalent for each lamp?

yes, excpet for the last one. That can go directly into the block terminal on the downlight..

Note that you must use twin& earth cable and the earth must be connected right through from the start of the circuit to the finish.

What about the 3 mains cables already there...how do connect those to the first lamp?

Its in the WIKI see here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Item 1.

PS. 10 downlights at 50watts. (=500watts)
I guess that these will be replacing a single 60watt lamp????........
so that is nine times as much electricity to light the same room. I hope that where you live isn't too near sea level as you'll be one of the first to drown when the icebergs melt due to the global warming you will cause.

PPS.
You will not be able to put a downlight where those wires are. They will have been run through a noggin, or will be right next to a joist.

How are you going to run the interconnect cables? Are you taking up the floor above?

PPPS

Downlights are SOOOO last century!

Sponsored Links
Firstly there are quite a few rules and regulation regarding fitting downlighters in your home. Are you in a flat or a house.

If your in a flat then you have to make sure you maintain the integrity of the ceiling for both fire protection and sound proffing. The units you have shown don't seem to be fire rated so therefore you will need to fit a fire hood to them, definately if in a flat, and advisable if in your home.

The 3 cables seem to either come through a noggin and so you can't fit your first downlighter there, unless you take the noggin out.

Is this in a kitchen or bathroom if it is then you need to notify this work as it comes under special locations. So you either have to notify the local building control or get a scheme approved electrician.

To be ohnest IMO I think you may need the services of an electrician as you don't seem to grasp the job or what is involved. It is safer to actually use someone who knows what they are doing and can advise you as well as doing the work. As even if the work comes outside the scope of part P you will still need to complete certification to the extended circuit.

Finally how are you going to run the other cable. The chances are you will need to get access to the floor above to run the cables for the other lights.

You should get a holesaw to fit in a drill, as near as the size specified in the instructions. This will give you a neat hole in the ceiling.

Note where the joists are. Make sure you leave at least two inches from the joists. Make a few small tests holes with a bradawl to check you are clear of joists before drilling any of the big holes. Make a test hole in the centre of each light position, then 4 round the perimeter to be sure. Angle the bradawl to check for any nearby joists.

If you are having these lights in rows, use a chalk string line to ensure they are in a straight line. It looks terrible if they are not in a dead straight line, and it's very hard to rectify later.

Keep measuring and checking before you start drilling holes.

The brown (live), blue (neutral) and earth (green / yellow) that hang down at the bottom of your 1st picture are going to an existing light fitting that works ?

If so then you connect 1.5mm TE cable to that point and run the wire to the 1st lamp, then from 1st lamp to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and on.

The termination is the easy bit, the hard bit is siting the lamps clear of joists, alining them in a straight line, square, rectangle etc, cutting the correct sized holes for the fittings and doing the cabling.

You will need access from above the ceiling, you may need to inform the local building control (if the work is in any bathroom or kitchen) and you will have to do the work in compliance with the electrical regs (17th ed 2008).

Okay, I admit I'm struggling.

The room is a lounge. I'm on the ground floor of a flat and I don't have access to the room above.

I'm only using 6 lights. Three in a line down one side of the room, three down the other

I'm going to be re-plastering the ceiling so it doesn't matter if I do some cutting.

CIRCUIT
I assume I connect the TE cable hanging out of the ceiling to the first light using a chocblock

But how do I connect the second light to the first one if both fly leads for the first light are being used?

And how should I get the cables through joists and noggins? When I encounter a noggin should I cut away the ceiling at this point? How should I go through it?
[/b]

Sometimes easiest way to do something is letting the dog see the rabbit.

Stop phaffing about and take the ceiling down. Rather then making holes everywhere and trying to fish things through.

Ceiling down, do the work and re-plasterboard it. You will though still need to put fire hoods on those fittings as it's a flat. You will also need to complete a MIEWC for the circuit.

I don't need to take down the whole ceiling. That's patently ridiculous. It should be possible to fish things through.

How do I connect the second light to the first one if both fly leads for the first light are being used?

Is this in a kitchen or bathroom if it is then you need to notify this work as it comes under special locations. So you either have to notify the local building control or get a scheme approved electrician.

Is that true, in Scotland?

To be ohnest IMO I think you may need the services of an electrician as you don't seem to grasp the job or what is involved. It is safer to actually use someone who knows what they are doing and can advise you as well as doing the work. As even if the work comes outside the scope of part P you will still need to complete certification to the extended circuit.

I agree, needs competent installation to comply with stuff, and be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back