Can someone tell me how to fit these lights?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Saving myself for a restaurant treat at 8pm, otherwise I'd join you :D

This is hard work. I'm off for (another) stiff gin.

Or maybe a large glass of 'The Brunette' Syrah perhaps

Barossa Valley, South Australia

Red, but not glass staining, this smells delightfully of its terroir, with said red clay and ironstone soil giving a nose of rust, red dirt and licorice, dusted with coffee oak

Hi Sparkwright, thanks for that. At least there's someone on here who has common sense! A few questions:

Why must the ceiling wiring be re-routed to a new position?

When I run the TE to the first junction box, can you tell me exactly what junction box I need? I assume the TE goes in one end of the box and terminates in a bloc inside the junction box, but the TE 'continues' to the next junction box via another length of TE?

Meanwhile, the fly leads from the lamp also connect into the same junction box? Do the fly leads need to be any way around? Is one live and one neutral?

Unless you want a downlighter near the existing ceiling wiring, you should re-position the wiring so the joint will accessible for future inspection.

At the first light, you will need a large 4 terminal junction box to connect the existing cables to. You can connect the first light to this. Or, you can run a short cable from the large junction box to a smaller junction box - to feed the first light. Then run cable from this to all the other lights.

If the 'fly leads' are not coloured or marked then they can be wired either way round.

I take it you are still using 230 v GU10 fittings.
12 volt ones require transformers, and have different lampholders and take different lamps.

If you are very inexperienced I recommend you employ an electrician to carry out this work.

Sponsored Links
Ah, 'tis the lady with the 0.5mm cooker cable again...
how is the cooker now? not burnt the flat down I assume?

View media item 11287This is daisy chaining..
use chock box's to cover the terminal block or the already shown other methods of connection.

It's immature and irresponsible.

Surely there must be an adult on here who is knows how to fit down lights in sequence and is intelligent enough to provide a few simple steps how to do it.[/quote]

Really,

You say it's immature and irresponsible, yet it is yourself you describe.

You have been told get an electrician, surely you are intelligent enough to realise that what you propose to do is illegal and potentially very dangerous not only to yourself but the poor people above, that you are putting at risk.

You say you have had it checked out about your fire rated ceiling and it is ok.

So many people will say that just to get help and then go and ruin it by doing an incompetent diy job no matter how good/ capable you think you are.
I have been to many a job carried out BY A COMPETENT DIY'er that has been an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY IT !!

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back