Can someone tell me what the “Lum” control does?

B

Big Tone

On an outside security light and what does it stand for please? I’ve done a Web search, to no avail, and come up with some strange results.

About two years ago I bought a security light from Lydl or Adli, I’ve forgotten which one it’s that long ago. But it’s a good un with a low energy bulb and is unusually white and bright, considering. (Every bit as good as a conventional 150/300 Watt).

So I finally installed it about a month ago and yesterday my neighbour opposite came over to say could I drop it down a bit as it’s shining in his kitchen. No problem, he was very nice about it and just wanted to politely ask.

I’m not an inconsiderate person and on the night I put it up I did look from the bedroom and made sure the beam looks to stop just at the end of my garden.

I know it’s not actually shining directly into his kitchen as such but I also know how, even without it doing so, a strong point of light can still be intrusive. So I’m going to drop it a bit more and I’m considering some sort of canopy over the top to shade it in addition if that’s not enough.

Anyway, this is what’s prompted my question on the Lum control. The instructions have gone AWOL. The three variable controls are the usual stuff I think: sensitivity, time/duration, (both obvious), but I’m at a loss with the Lum. It has a symbol adjacent which looks like a moon? Short for Lumen?

Sponsored Links
Sure it's not LUX? The point at when the light starts to work in relation to ambient light?

Not heard of LUM.

Sure it's not LUX? The point at when the light starts to work in relation to ambient light?

Not heard of LUM.
:oops: Erm.. I'm sure you're right. (It was at night and I use reading glasses in my (poor) defence.. :oops:

That sounds like an interesting one to adjust...

Cheers.

Tony/Tone

Lumens? - presumably the light has a dawn-dusk function?

They meant lux, if it adjusts the response of the photocell, but maybe they didn't know that.

Sponsored Links
Oh, you’ve both got me wondering now. I’m going home in a bit, (good daylight this time), so I can double check.

Thanks guys.

Add:
So if it is that, I guess the only true and accurate way to make the adjustment would be: -

Turn the Lum/Lux pot in the least sensitive direction
Wait for the point in the evening where you want it to come on; sunset.
While flailing an arm in front of the light, slowly turn the pot up until the light comes on.

Does this sound about right?

Not sure how an electrician installing one for someone in the daytime would leave it, but I’m sure it’s not a big deal. So maybe just half way...

So if it is that, I guess the only true and accurate way to make the adjustment would be: - ...... Does this sound about right?
Yep, that's right, although I doubt that many people set it very scientifically. As eric has said, the one time one has to fiddle with it is if extraneous light sources are confusing it about when is day and when is night.

Kind Regards, John

In the main I do not touch the lux control but where there are many lights then one has to set it to stop it switching off the lamp when a neighbours light fires up.
Ah, right! My next door neighbour has a similar security light, only at the bottom of his garden pointing towards his house, (and mine), so pointing at my light which is on my wall pointing down the garden.

Funny thing is when his light comes on, mine doesn’t. But I can see this is still nonetheless where the Lux setting would be useful from the sounds of it. So it’s more than just setting it at twilight, I have to set it for his light coming on too as a balance or compromise.

Anyway, I am a wiser man now thanks and it won’t help my opposite neighbour's problem with my light shining in his kitchen, so will still have to point it more downwards. Methinks the answer is a detached house. :rolleyes:

I only put the bloomin' thing up because my ex is lodging with me and when she goes out for a smoke at night she steps on slugs. (Its like a million silver trails the next day). :mad:

Ah, right! My next door neighbour has a similar security light, only at the bottom of his garden pointing towards his house, (and mine), so pointing at my light which is on my wall pointing down the garden. ... Funny thing is when his light comes on, mine doesn’t. But I can see this is still nonetheless where the Lux setting would be useful from the sounds of it.
If it had any effect, it would be the opposite of what you suggest - his light coming on could possibly fool your one into thinking it was daytime, so it might not come on when it should (i.e. whhen it detected movement). However, since that would only happen during the (presumably only very occasional, and brief) periods when his light was already providing some illumination, that's hardly an issue.
So it’s more than just setting it at twilight, I have to set it for his light coming on too as a balance or compromise.
If his is just a PIR-operated security light, as above I would personally not attempt to 'compensate' for it by playing with the settings. It's really only when some neighbour (or whatever) has a light which is constantly on at night (or, at least, on for long periods) that (IMO) it's really worth/necessary to try to address the issue.

Kind Regards, John

They normally come with them set to daylight mode (will work during the day for testing), I normally then through it all the way around to as far as it will go the other direction.

They normally come with them set to daylight mode (will work during the day for testing), I normally then through it all the way around to as far as it will go the other direction.
I suspect that's what nearly all of us do and, for most purposes, that 'all the way around' setting of the lum/lux control is usually perfectly satisfactory.

Kind Regards, John

Well thanks again guys. I did get the name wrong and it does indeed say Lux. (No good being daft if I don't prove it occasionally). Raised small black letters on black plastic at night didn't exactly help identify :rolleyes:

Will have a go at the flailing arm & tweaking routine in half an hour or so...

Job's a good un, as they say :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back