Grounding wire attached to ceiling lamp but canopy of light fixture not grounded, is this serious pr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new metal pendant light. The light itself has a metal canopy and there is a metal bulb holder below, the two parts are connected via insulated wire. The light came with a grounding wire which I have connected with the grounding wire from the ceiling, so I am confident that the bottom part of the light (ie where you change the bulb is grounded). Now, having thought of it though, the metal casing (canopy?) above is not grounded itself. It acts simply as a means of holding up the lamp and covering the wiring... nothing is connected to it other than the insulated wires feeding down to the light. Obviously, the wires are not touching it directly, but there are quite a few wires connected inside this canopy. If over time, a wire came loose, potentially there could be a wire which touch that metal canopy. No one will be climbing on chairs to touch this, so I am not as concerned about electric shock, but more so would this be considered faulty wiring? As I said, we connected the ground wires of the lamp to the ceiling, but seems to be a bit of a bad design where is metal canopy itself wasn't taken into consideration. Don't want to throw another wire in there as it's already quite tight. Is it a fire hazard? Really can't afford an electrician at this point and didn't plan on doing so as I've wired lights before. Fairly confident the wiring is correct and secure, but I'm a worrier. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks! -Olivia

Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell from the description.

Post a picture (just copy and paste or drag to reply box) or a link to the light.

Is the lamp double insulated? If so it will have a symbol like this

were there Instructions with the lamp? What do they say.?

There’s an awful lot of words in your post. It would be very helpful if you could post a photo of the light and the wiring.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick follow up, we've gone a head and rewired and now have grounded the bit at the ceiling as well. Will double think buying electronic fixtures off Amazon next time! Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back