Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again everyone. Another question from the DIY dunce.
I want to get a socket put into a cupboard but there's no sockets close by (that I can tell) to add a spur.

Basically my consumer unit is in one cupboard and the other cupboard is in a different room, but only about 2 meters from the CU.
Here's a sketch of how my first cupboard looks (sorry it's a bit crap).
axKR1S5l.jpg

As you can see the CU has a socket coming from it into the cupboard but I'm unsure if this is a spur or if it's running directly from the CU. As far as I can tell without opening it up there's only one wire going in and nothing coming out. Can check later if need be.

Basically I want to know if I can run an electrical wire from this socket through to the other room via a junction box, like this:
pMnzdZ3l.jpg

eFVQgRi.png

I know it's not going to be as simple as I think and I've probably got the type of wire wrong and it's probably not possible like this.
I'm not going to do it myself I just don't want to pay am electrician to come out and tell me it can't be done. Just wanted to get some free advice first.

Sponsored Links
Lots more info required but a couple of things to consider are

1. Really no need for the JB just spur directly from the socket (assuming it is appropriate to spur at all)

2. Safe zones/RCD or other protection

3. lots of other stuff too!

someone else will post more questions I'm sure....

Thanks for your speedy reply. I will try to answer your questions best I can.

Is it possible that the socket near the CU is a spur from the ring in the kitchen?
The kitchen wall is at the back of the CU. The wires go up into the ceiling and drop into the kitchen walls. I'm thinking in the ceiling there could be a junction box between the CU and the start of the kitchen ring.
If that's so, I wouldn't be able to spur off it, would I?
I could be completely wrong, of course, the only electrical experience I have is changing a socket/light switch haha.
As for safe zones I was thinking of using trunking from one wall to the next rather than feeding the wires behind the wall.
Again, I'm not sure if this is possible so would need an answer to that too lol.

If it's possible to add the new socket as a spur, would the CU have RCD protection? Especially is its coming off the kitchen ring.

If I'm talking absolute nonsense, let me know. The reason I'm getting an electrician to do it for me is because I haven't got the first clue when it comes to electrics.

The reason I'm getting an electrician to do it for me is because I haven't got the first clue when it comes to electrics.
MAybe you really should be asking him, then.

But you shouldn't need to look in the ceiling (there won't be a JB up there).

Why not spur straight off the MCB for the ring final INSIDE the consumer unit. It is allowed to do that, you know.

Sponsored Links
MAybe you really should be asking him, then.
I did say I didn't want to pay somebody to come out to tell me it can't be done. That's why I was checking it could be done first.

Thanks for your help :)

One last thing, would you recommend feeding the new socket through the ceiling and into the cupboard or like I said in my first post, run cabling in trunking through the kitchen?

Impossible to say, without looking at the logistics of each cable run.

Sometimes there's things in the way that determine the best approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back