Can someone tell me what these boiler pipes are

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title. I know top is flue, long diagonal is the condensate. What is the short third one. This was originally pointing upwards and when I twisted 180 to current position water fell out .....

16954650378517399970363945289118.jpg

Sponsored Links
Boiler flue terminal, safety discharge pipe for if the pressure relief valve were to operate and the other pipe is the condensate pipe, from when the boiler condenses. The safety discharge pipe should be terminated where it can’t cause harm to passer by’s.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the pressure release outlet point back towards the wall? In the past, plumbers have told me that it should. In the event of the boiler releasing hot water, it will run down the wall rather than shooting on to someone walking past.

I am not a plumber though.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't the pressure release outlet point back towards the wall? In the past, plumbers have told me that it should. In the event of the boiler releasing hot water, it will run down the wall rather than shooting on to someone walking past.

I am not a plumber though.
It should, in fact these days the 'specified' method would be to run the pipe down to ground level and then protect the outlet with a cage but that's mighty.

Looks like whoever did the new render has probably fecked about with it. That Condensate should also be increased in size or at the very least insulated but hey it's all just semantics :ROFLMAO:

I love the soil pipe! :ROFLMAO:
I didn't look that far up, it's actually cladding that's been fitted, rather than a new render, hopefully they haven't stuffed the flue of the boiler too. Wouldn't be the first time I've been to a boiler where the outside was re-clad and as the flue wasn't long enough they had actually pulled it clear of the turret, rather than get the flue extended or boxed round it, luckily it was just the outside air intake that was loose and the internal flue was still connected.

I would say EWI with monocouche. I think you were correct to say it's new render :)
Surely the new render isn't that deep though, is it? Taking the soil pipe as the gauge, which would normally be 5 odd mm off the original wall then it must be > 70mm thick, but the window surround/ledge doesn't look overly deep? Or is just the way I'm looking at it?

Surely the new render isn't that deep though, is it? Taking the soil pipe as the gauge, which would normally be 5 odd mm off the original wall then it must be > 70mm thick, but the window surround/ledge doesn't look overly deep? Or is just the way I'm looking at it?
Polystyrene insulation onto concrete wall then rendered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back