Can steel pipes be frozen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can steel pipes (about 21mm?) be frozen as easily as 15mm copper pipes?
Would it just take a bit more freezing and redoing more often or is it not possible?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Just the size of the pipe should mean it would take more to freeze it, also copper is better for heat transfer so copper will require less than steel.
But given time & temperature you can freeze the steel.
Although I didnt understand the redoing bit.

Thanks for answering.

What I meant was that I was assuming the steel pipes wouldn't stay frozen for as long as copper pipes, so I may need to refreeze them sooner if I need more time, but now I think about it, that may not be the case.

cyberdine
use an electric freezer for steel
ok as long as you dont have a power cut
last one i did on thawing out water everywhere as it was an old seam welded pipe situated on sixt floor
always a good idea to have a wet vac handy or waders

hope this helps

Sponsored Links

Thanks for answering.

What I meant was that I was assuming the steel pipes wouldn't stay frozen for as long as copper pipes, so I may need to refreeze them sooner if I need more time, but now I think about it, that may not be the case.

Steel pipes should stay frozen for longer than copper - thermal tranfer works both ways. That is to say, if it takes longer to freeze it, it'll also take longer to defrost it. Incidentally you'll never get it to refreeze once it's defrosted to a point where the water's flowing again - that just ain't gonna happen. Electric freezer is by far the best option here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back