Can tenants move in without sound test signed off ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm converting 2 flats, one is a few weeks off completion the other a couple of months.

I've just asked the sound consultant when they are able to test the 1st flat and they say it can only take place when both are complete - is this correct ?

Could i move a tenant in the 1st flat before the test is complete ?

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's correct. Technically it shouldn't be carpeted so moving tenants in might be an issue. Having said that we have tests done all the time after people have moved in and it's never been a problem. But it might be if you get a finicky tester.

You also need to agree with the building inspector which rooms he wants testing as if the same spec is used throughout then a representative test in one area may be acceptable.

It was in our case with 3 flats. This meant it was cheaper to test as the test equipment only needed to be set up once to cover both middle to upper and middle to lower flats. Depends on your layouts of course.

Sponsored Links
You can get (at least in Scotland) a temporary certificate of occupation which allows the premises to be used before the building control completion certificate is issued.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back