Can this be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
I'm looking at rearranging my bedroom to fit a double bed in. However we've hit a snag. To fit a double in we need an extra 6" in width. We were told a while ago that this by the side of my bed has something to do with the stairs (does anyone know what it's called? ) so we are weary of removing it. The guy who told us this isn't the most reliable though. I was wondering if anyone had come across one before and knows if it can be removed or not?

Thanks in advance, any advice is useful!

Sponsored Links
if it runs under the bunk bed to the far wall then it could be the headheight stair bulkhead.
take a ppppppphoto lookin up the stairs.
the bulkhead is the sloping panel you see if you look up as you climb the dancers.

if it is the bulkhead then you must leave it in place, dont mess with it but we dont yet know what it is.

google stair bulkhead pics

I've took a few, tried to get one to show you where it is in relation to the room. Thanks for the reply!
20180723_230221.jpg
20180723_230157.jpg
20180723_230109.jpg

yeah,thats the bulkhead and youve got to leave it alone.

are you sayin that you need the length of the bunk bed plus 6" for your double bed width?

Sponsored Links
No I was going to take the bed out completely and turn it round so it ran under the window. However, I'd need to shave about 6 inches off the bulkhead to fit it in. Looks like it can't be done then!

it might be codged in by a joiner not a diyer.
but thers the chance of altering/lowering the head height as you go up the stairs.
that would cause possible knock-on problems with house sale surveys or geting furniture up and down or if its well low now it wouldnt feel right as you went up and down.

Sounds like more hassle than it's worth! Thanks for your help buddy

You could build a custom bed over it, like the current bed is. It looks like you even have room to have a step up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back