Can this door frame be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not sure what this part of the door frame/casement is called, but its been butchered numerous times and now theres hardly any good wood left to screw into.

Can it be repaired and how? I might soon be getting a joiner to hang new internal doors throughout my house, if so, how would he go about repairing it, or do I need a new door frame?

file_zpse03a73ff.jpg

Sponsored Links
You'd be best to chop out all the wood that's highlighted red, approx 16 mm deep, cut, fit and glue in a wooden plugging piece, use filler for the damaged architrave. Then re-cut the keeper housing and refit.

View media item 59487 ...Cheers, pinenot

Sponsored Links
I didn't mean to upset anyone, if I have please accept my apology :oops: ...pinenot

Youve not upset me, and Im the one that counts :)

Thanks for the advice. So im assuming once its been filled, the new hole (dont know what its called, is it a keep?) should be cut out above/below the old one?

Cheers

No, in the same place. otherwise it would mean moving the handles to the wrong height.

Fit a new block of timber (glued into place) and leave for 24hrs for the glue to completely dry.

Andy

Understood, thanks.

I forgot to say I might be getting a new door fitted so that may allow for the hole to be made in a higher/lower position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back