Can this material be painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so excuse me if I’m in the wrong section.

I’d like to remove the laminate coating from my kitchen cabinet doors in a flat I recently moved into and paint the board underneath. I’ve removed a small corner of it expecting MDF and discovered this material that I’ve never seen before.

It looks a bit like MDF but feels plasticky to the touch and has all of these tiny little plastic pellets embedded in it. It’s an IKEA kitchen if that helps.

Can anyone help me identify the material and also let me know whether it can be painted before I tear any more off.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• 19ED9F7B-9AE8-486F-BE64-3D2B75673325.jpeg
    19ED9F7B-9AE8-486F-BE64-3D2B75673325.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
that's not laminate, it is vinyl wrap

belongs on a bonfire.

Ah okay, thanks. Yeah it’s not my favourite at all. It’s really the material underneath I’m concerned about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. So you reckon sanding it down to get the glue off and it will be ready to paint?
No, it'll be a nasty job and the results will be poor.

If you want to paint anything, paint over the vinyl wrap with an appropriate primer first.

No, it'll be a nasty job and the results will be poor.

If you want to paint anything, paint over the vinyl wrap with an appropriate primer first.

Thanks for the advice. What is it about this material that will make it a nasty job? The glue or the MDF?

You wont get it smooth enough to give a decent finish. What about an alternative wrap?

Because of the glue or just because of the nature of MDF?

I think if I can’t paint I’ll just get new doors.
Both. You’ll never get rid off all the glue dots and you’ll end up breaking through the surface of the mdf. Then you’ll find the mdf gets fluffy and when you paint it you’ll see that you’ve sanded loads of dents into the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back