Can this tester work?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I saw this thing on Fleabay, it looks handy, but I can't see how it would work. the ad says:

"An innovative pocket device for determining the presence of an AC or DC voltage.

• No need for current to be flowing or contact to be made with the circuit to activate the unit
• Find breaks in power cables
• Measure the presence of AC and DC voltage from 12V to 220V
• Safe to use
• Accurate
• Tests voltage continuity and polarity
• Convenient screwdriver tip
• Extremely compact styled
• Pocket clip
• CE approved

"

44_1_b.JPG

Sponsored Links
its similar to a "volt stick" they work, but best save your money as they are not that reliable

I have a steiner with two probes and row of LEDs, but thought this thing might have been handy as more pocket-sized

I don't think I'd like to rely on one of those, I wonder how they can measure 12vDC without contact? I think I'll stick with my T2 for now.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I saw this thing on Fleabay, it looks handy, but I can't see how it would work. the ad says:

"An innovative pocket device for determining the presence of an AC or DC voltage.

• No need for current to be flowing or contact to be made with the circuit to activate the unit
• Find breaks in power cables
• Measure the presence of AC and DC voltage from 12V to 220V
• Safe to use
• Accurate
• Tests voltage continuity and polarity
• Convenient screwdriver tip
• Extremely compact styled
• Pocket clip
• CE approved

"

44_1_b.JPG

Got one as a free gift on a diy mag, it is prob at the landfill site by now. Also seen them at local market for a £1.

in principle its possible to detect an electric field without drawing current, in practice its very hard to do reliablly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back