Can tyrolene be used instead of render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help? The developer building on a piece of land next to our house, has built a large wall running the length of the site, and forming the boundary between us. The council have declared that the breeze block wall should be given a render and painted finish. The developer has applied a very thin coat of tyrolene (the breeze blocks are still visible beneath).
The council looked at the work they have done and are thinking that it may be considered to be a render finish.
Is this true? Or can I go to the council and dispute that what they have done is not a render finish? (It looks dreadful).
Please can anyone advise? Also, there are no drainage holes in the wall and where the wall is about 10 feet high at the bottom of the garden (on a slope) there arer salts leaking out of the bricks. Will the wall become unstable?
javascript:emoticon(':eek:')
Many thanks! jo

Sponsored Links
a tyrolean finish alone is not very good without the render backing to protect it. it tends to dry to quick and lose some of its cohesive strength.

it may even flake off in sheets.

this alone will not make the wall unstable though.

if they have used an inferior grade block, that must be protected by a cement render, then i would be inclined to insist the builders carry out their obligation.

Thanks Noseall!
I will pursue the Enforcement Officer in charge of this long runnng problem...and try and get some decisive action taken to get it rendered properly!
cheers, jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back