Extension Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - excuse the long post but hopefully, it'll provide context.
We have a small flat roof extension on the back of our house, leading to a pitched roof conservatory with glazed glass on the side facing what was neighbour's patio.
The adjoining house (we're semi-detached) has sold and the new owner is building a large pitched roof extension on their back which runs alongside our flat roof and conservatory. There's a small gap between two properties given different roof lines but this is somewhat boxed in.
We didn't object to plans as reasonable they want to extend, even though we lost light on our side conservatory windows. However, the published council plans state all of the new build will be rendered and finished to match the original house, which is pebble-dashed.
Builders have recently put a single skim on some of the breeze block side extension facing our house, it's a grey/brown colour but they've advised they will not be able to skim the middle part - behind conservatory windows - as inaccessible: because of their build. The rest of new build is double-rendered with a pebble-dash finish.
This means part of their side is just bare breeze blocks, and these are clearly visible from our conservatory windows (despite the glaze). From bedroom window we just have a view of single skim render and not pebble-dash finish as per plans.
Given the finish was on the plans - and we didn't object because of same - I'm a bit concerned that we've lost both light and now have a permanent view of breeze blocks rather than a nice rendered finish to match the original on the house (as per plans).
We don't really know the new neighbour as he's not moved in and we've heard he's a bit of a property developer so may not be too bothered about finishes/impact on neighbours etc, if he's selling on. I have tried messaging him - he left a mobile in case of emergencies - but he's not responding.
I'm just wondering if we do have any rights here given their attitude that this is as much as they'll do? I don't want to cause any difficulties and am happy they're improving the house but it seems all the impact is on us and I can't really afford to pay to have a lot of adjustments done on my side to mitigate the breeze-block view etc.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back