1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Feasibility and cost of replacing breeze block wall

Discussion in 'Building' started by JakesDaddy, 16 Dec 2020.

1. JakesDaddy

JakesDaddy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have a 1950's semi detached house. It's a standard red brick exterior and is not rendered.

On the eastern wall we have what was originally an outbuilding with a pitched roof to the house. It's much more than a lean-to - it has brick walls and tiled roof, and we use it as our utility room. One of the attached files shows the current elevation.

We are looking at knocking this part of the building down, and building an extension, where the pitch of the roof is rotated 90 degrees, inline with the roof line of the main house. As shown in the attached plans.

The problem we have is that the eastern wall of the house directly under the existing pitched roof (ie. in the loft space of the outbuilding) is breeze block. I've attached a photo of looking up through the loft hatch. The area of breeze block runs the full width of the outbuilding, under its pitched roof.

If we go ahead with the extension as planned, we will be left with a lot of ugly breeze block being exposed.

My question is, is it easy/feasible to replace the exposed breeze block with red brick? I know small amount of brick work can be removed and replaced, but this feels like a substantial (and structural !) amount of brick work replacement.

Is it do-able? Will it add considerable expense to the build?

Cheers

Existing elevations:
    Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 20.37.15.png

Proposed extension:
    Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 20.39.51.png

Problem area:
    IMG_3386.jpg

Last edited: 17 Dec 2020
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How about red brick slips? Cheaper, quicker.....

4. JakesDaddy

JakesDaddy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks very much for your swift reply. I didn't even know such a thing existed!, but thats looks like a very viable option. I'll look into that; thanks

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local