Can vertical blinds be dyed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just decorated the living room and need to replace the existing vertical blinds as they are now the wrong colour.

However, they are relatively new and are in perfect condition.

I'm wondering, therefore, if it is possible to dye such things. They have a very subtle blue tint to them, but we want them in a beige or cream colour. They are machine-washable fabric and I thought there might be a way of sticking them in the washing machine with dye.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing, or know of any colouring product which might do the job? I've never dyed ANYTHING before.

Sponsored Links
unless some one has another idea, try it and see, but do remember to follow blind's instructiions (remove weights?)

I have dyed several things by putting it and dye in w/m

2 things though, colour mix, as its blue, it may not take beige

once done tough.

or put them on an auction site and get new ones, or save them till you change your mind again

Places like Woolworth and ironmongers will sell you small pots of dye - relatively straight forward process depending on material.

However, having worked in textile dyeing for over 15 years I'd say give it a miss.

To overcome the blue tint you'd need to apply a much heavier tone of beige or cream - and the blue itself may 'mix' with the new colours and affect the final shade.

This is assuming the blinds haven't got some kind of protective treatment applied in manufacture to offset shading from sunlight/dirt etc [think scotchguard for carpets/suites etc].

This may affect the dyeing process - or it may even be damned hard to remove to enable your task to be undetaken at all.

That may sound too technical or offputting - but most of theses products are chemically treated in the 1st place to give finish/protection that the end user demands.

I'd personally say it wasn't worth the risk - but it 'aint my call.

We once washed our conservatory verticals - mild wash and wrapped in pillowcases - and they never looked as good again. [the crispness of new was replaced by a limp frayed look]

Sorry for the negative content - can only say it as I see it.

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The blinds are being replaced anyway, so there isn't too much at stake.

However, if there is little chance of success, you have saved me the hassle of wasting time and no doubt creating a lot of mess.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back