Can we level multiple floor heights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looking for some advice on possibly levelling a number of adjacent floor heights, currently all at different levels.

I’ve done a quick sketch and taken some pics to explain the scenario more clearly.

Ideally, we’d like to bring all the floors up to the same level as the rest of the ground floor of the house.

How would this be most easily achieved? Could we do it with a floor board approach or would a screed be better? The hatched area depicts a slight fall in the floor.

Other than that there are a couple of other possible issues. One being the toilet waste in the WC. Would this still be connectable if the floor was higher? And then the outside door, would it be the done thing to screed up to the current frame? Or would doing this present problems later down the line?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Re the WC, you could buy something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc-f26r-flexible-wc-pan-connector-white-97-107mm/71219

This one may not be exactly what you need, there are different models, but McAlpine is highly thought of by plumbers I know.

It will depend though, on where the soil pipe comes in: will the new FFL foul it?

Re the door, how much are you raising the FFL around it?
What is the level on the exterior?

What is the substrate?

Is that pencil skirt in the picture? 68/9mm high?

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

Yeah that adapter for the WC looks good. The current soil pipe does protrude from the WC floor by around 50mm so I think it would still be connectable anyway.

Regarding the door. The idea would be to bring the floor up by approx 85mm on the inside. It’s a step down outside probably at 30mm lower than the current garden room floor so the full step in itself would then be about 120mm.

What I’ve done now though is mark out on the internal wall where the FFL would be and it would actually be about 15mm to 20mm above the top of the door frame. So if you were stood outside looking in, you’d be able to see a cross section of the finished floor at the bottom of the door.

Would this be bad idea?

Is the substrate the current floor? If so, it’s solid concrete in all areas.

And yes, that skirting is around 70mm high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back