Can wooden fence posts be used to hold a washing line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think a couple of fence posts placed in the ground using metal holding spikes similar to this:

http://www.sabrefix.co.uk/products_fencefix_view.php?id=72

would support a washing line?

I'd be happy not to have to mix concrete, pour it into ground etc. and these are meant to be a concrete free option.

I know that the post will not last as long as a traditional metal pole and we will have to be careful how much weight we put on the line but besides that, is this a very stupid idea? Has anyone here done or seen similar?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
in a word no. they are a pile of ****e and they wobble at the best of times. Get some post fix, dig a hole and be done with it. Do it the right way first time, it will last for years, and you wont be redoing it again in a few years time when the things wobble out.

I don't see why it shouldn't work. Fences take a great deal of pressure from the wind and the ground fixings do the job there. I'd be inclined to nail a roofing lath, or similar, across the tops of the posts just to equalise the pressure a bit. You would then need to place the washing line below this, of course.

If the posts do eventually work loose, you could just lever them out and re-site them, something much harder to do if you've used concrete.

you will be applying a strong and persistent force pulling the tops together. If you consider that the weight of the wet washing will be applied via a 6' lever to the spikes you can see it will be quite effective at pulling them out of place. i know someone who has a small washing line run from the side of the house to a concrete post, set in concete, and it has moved a couple of inches until it presses against the concrete path.

A rigid rail between the two tops is a good idea, it will resist the force pulling them together.

You could also try extending the washing line into guy ropes beyond the poles fixed to a deep peg.

Sponsored Links
This is a Homebase version.

http://tinyurl.com/29cze6

It goes 750mm into the ground so *should* be quite stable? I realise that long term there probably will be some movement though. Just trying to find ways to avoid the whole concrete mixing palaver!

all the metal spikes are useless. I spend a lot of time taking failed ones out when we do fence jobs.

all you need are a couple of posts. two 4" posts will be fine. you need to get a 1/3rd of them below ground. you will need about 3 bags of postfix to do the job. its about £4-5 a bag from a diy shed. you pour it in the hole, ram it firm and then pour water on. job done.

I wouldn't do it if it were for my garden, but if you want to, then go for it. It could last quite a while, and what if one of the spikes does work loose? Either move it and start again ot get rid and concrete another post in..

What have you got to lose except for a couple of quid and some mucky washing?
It's not like your putting 25 fence posts in.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back