Wooden fence panels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupid woman needs advice. I want to erect a 6 ft wood panel fence in soil. What is the best method to use, metal spikes or wooden posts. Do they need to be concreted in ?. Cant seem to find concrete posts in Glasgow. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
In order of uselessness:

Metal spikes (worst)
wooden posts (work for a while then rot and snap off)

Phone a few builders merchants, who will have concrete posts. It is an advantage to use concrete gravel boards as well.

Yes, you do have to concrete them in.

They are heavy and best handled by two people unless you are big and strong.

If you have previously had wooden posts concreted in, you will be annoyed to find that the rotten post snaps off and leaves a huge lump of concrete embedded in the ground that will get in your way. That's why I don't like them.

Your choice really, I don't like the met-post as they are difficult to line up plus not good for long term. The concrete post will be very heavy but easier to replace panels if need be, the wooden post will be easier to handle being lighter but the panels will need to be fixed to the post, not difficult though. My opinion would be the wooden post as they tend to look nicer with the panels.

Dig a neat round hole, put the post in then postcrete then add water

images

met posts are one of the biggest cons going. They dont line up, they dont hold the fence well and they look atrocious.

Concrete posts are good, but heavy to install and it is difficult tpo change panels when they get damaged.

Decent pressure treated wooden posts will last years despite what john says!

what ever you use get them from a decent fencing supplier rather than a diy shed. You may find that panels are in very short supply at the moment, they certainly are in the south1

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back