Can you add masking to wall that has had matt emulsion on it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, was wanting to paint the window frames without having to worry about over painting onto the walls. Was wondering if i could use masking tape or whether the masking tape would lift paint off the freshly painted walls

Sponsored Links
Nobody can make any guarantees about your freshly painted walls without knowing exactly how they've been painted and more importantly having a good look at them.

As long as they've been painted right then you should be ok with well applied quality tape.

However, it's a much better idea to take the time to cut your windows in by hand and not risk lifting the paint or any bleeding.

verbal is pretty much right on what he said, but i thought i'd mention, you can get a very low tack masking tape, that, if removed almost immediately, should cause little if any problems.

Sponsored Links
Verbal and Libby thanks for your replies.

I was also thinking for possibly a better result and saving time in having to mask I should cut in more carefully.

Regarding the low tack masking tape, I used to use the blue 3M stuff for my own cars when detailing them. I found some cheaper alternatives which are great on the cars but was wondering if they are any good on interior paints.

The reason i am concerned is as follows. Recently we took control of some small office space in a building. It was only a year old but already paint flaking off. I realised that whenever you tried removing something even blue tacked to the wall it would pull the paint off in places. I realised that the cheap skate decorators had used a single fine coat of B&Q budget Magnolia.

It seemed as though they painted the inner window frames with grey emulsion too as i had some masking tape on them and when removing it ripped the grey paint off lol

Finally, its not a problem cutting the walls in but cutting the window frames is a nightmare as the frame protrudes approx 1.5-2cm i.e. i have less than 2cm to play with where the frame meets the walls. This is a real issue in keeping neat as i cant build towards cutting in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back