Clean join between emulsion paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to paint the walls in a bedroom with one wall a darker shade. The walls are covered with 1200 grade lining paper. How can I get a clean join up the corners where the different shades of emulsion meet? I thought about doing the lighter walls first, then using masking tape up the corners but am worried that the tape will pull off the emulsion underneath when I remove it. Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A reasonably wide brush and a steady stroke is all you need. In my opinion masking tape would give too sharp a line and might well pull off the paint underneath. Make sure the adjacent wall is thoroughly dry before doing the next wall.

Do the light wall first, overlap slightly onto the wall which is going to be darker, then cut in with the dark colour. I use a 3" brush pulled in a steady downward stroke to give a neat finish. You may just need a small, say 1" brush for the top and bottom corners where you meet the ceiling and skirting, depending on the quality of the large brush. Has always worked for me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back