Can you be an non rgi and change a diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question having got into this plumbing lark I was chatting with a friend he has a combi and the diverter valve was a diagnosed fault.

I thought if you had to take off the boiler casing you had to be rgi and as the diverter is within the boiler this would be the case. He says not as gas is not involved in this part?

Sponsored Links
Technically, the case may be a combustion chamber seal and as such would require a RGI. you may be opening a can of worms

This is always a hot topic.

One interpretation is that anything which is in the user instructions you can do. Anything which is not, you can't.

Sponsored Links
The Gas Safety Regulations (installation and Use) DO NOT differentiate between types of 'work' on a gas appliance.
You undertake work on a gas appliance, you come under the above regulations.

not the way the regs are worded

wouldnt stand up in front of the beak

unless you did something silly

the way the regs are at the moment is a farce

h e l l more get outs than a goverment policy :evil:

Corgi stated he following to me in writing on the 1st Aug 06 , A person that is not corgi reg' may work on a gas boiler providing they do not interere with any part of the appliance that involves the combustion process , work on any gas bearing parts , or break into or disconnect the gas installation pipework to that appliance . In all cases were corgi reg is not mandotary the person must be competent 7 comply with manu' instructions !

It might also be interest to note that those RGI's that do not hold an L.P.G ticket , can work on an L.P.G boiler providing u dont touch the gas valve or need to adjust gas pressures , all other work flues e.c.t are o.k .

true but let`s agree on one thing anyone who blow`s their and next doors house is incompent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back