Can you control sky+ HD box remotly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theory the sky remote is only a inferred transmitter and the digi-eye can receive this and alter channels through RF socket so should be able to control the Sky box through a computer link but question is how.

Mother is not very good using remote and has other problems so setting up a pet cam so in theroy if I can some how send the right signals I should be able to control the sky box and TV with a transmitter connected to a computer which in turn I can control from my home.

Sponsored Links
You can control a Sky box via RS232 (directly via 9pin D or via an interface connecting to the RF2 socket) or some later boxes can be controlled by IP.

For control by RS232 you'll have to have some device sitting in the house that you can talk to via an internet connection, then ensure that it is on and booted, before you work out a way to actually talk to it to then control the Sky box. Even after you have accomplished all this you'll still have to learn how to write the RS232 command sequences. Here's a link to the protocol ........ To me that seems like an awful lot of ducks to get in to a row. IP control works if you have a smartphone on the same network as the Sky box. Quite how you get that achieved though when the smartphone is in a different house on the other side of the village isn't something I know. Maybe tunnelling VPN? But again it seems like a lot of work.

The problem with both above is that neither address how to control the TV as well, and in both instances you'll still have to have the Sky and TV remotes out, so you haven't removed the cause of the problem in the first place which is the wrong buttons being pressed on those two remotes! You'll be fixing the symptoms and not the cause.

If I were you I would look at the simple promotes posted by footprints. Alternatively (and this is something I have suggested to you on at least two other occasions) have a look at a Pronto SBC RU890 (UK/European version of TS-1000). With it you can get rid of both troublesome remotes and program the Pronto with big and easy to read icons and a much simpler control layout.

One screen for Power ON that switches on the TV and the Sky box. It then jumps automatically to the next screen which is Ch up and Ch down and volume. On the same screen is a button to switch the system off, which then automatically jumps to the Power ON page once the sequence is complete. The touch screens are illuminated. The remotes take standard AA or work off a rechargeable docking stand. They're cheap too in the used market. This just seems like a perfect fit for your aged mother.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hope it works out for you, please let us know if it does help, be nice to be able to recommend it to others.

It arrived next day. Both TV and Sky box programmed in on about the fourth code to try from the list from LG and Pace and I was quickly able to enter the program codes i.e. STB until led solid then 101MuteADD programmed in BBC1 the Mute button is required to replace the Select button used with Sky the only problem I found I entered two channels and missed out the ADD so it went to first channel then printed 10 on screen clearly it only holds 6 digits but the command STB until led solid then 104Mute10DEL removed it again.

So today due to visit mother to see how it went. She seemed to work it out quickly. I can't see how I could program both terrestrial and satellite there does not seem to be a command to alter view mode. With slide open you have 0 ~ 9 plus - (dash) LC (last channel) TV, STD, ADD and DEL it may switch from TV to Sky by pressing the TV or STD but not tried as yet.

I selected the option where it does not switch off the Sky box as she also watches in the other room.

To date very pleased with it seems just the job.

Glad to hear you are happy with it, thanks for the feed back.

Been down to my mothers she is happy so therefore so am I. Although it can be used for DTV or SKY it does not alter the TV between both functions so it is an either or not both.

as an aside anything is possible

i phoned up talk talk with a problem with my internet speed last night because on saturday it halved
from india he restarted my router told me what devices where connected and a full line test as well as telling me the results off the line speed tests i had initiated and when i had tried them

We may be idea was to also use a pet cam, but router arrived and phone connected OK and laptop connected OK and they can talk to each other, but no internet. I hope it's just a case of router has arrived before open reach has connected up the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back