Can you cover a cold water tank with plastic or tarpaulin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

After investigating why there were nasty things coming out of the hot water tap, we found that the lid of the 50 gallon cold water tank in the loft doesn't fit and the previous owners had covered the gap with some polystyrene which has since moved.

I've googled the make of tank and can't find it. What's more, it's small hatch door so I doubt I could get a new lid through it anyway.

I was thinking of getting a sheet of heavy duty plastic or tarpaulin to cover it. Is that a good solution or are there other things I need to beware of.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So I've since seen references to bylaws and needing a tight fitted lid because of drip mouldings and condensation etc, but I've measured the hatch and won't get one through it. Is there an adequate Plan b?

What other insulation have you in the loft? It was/is quite normal to find polystyrene slabs round and on water tanks.

linds can be bent or folded to fit through hatches.

Sponsored Links
Fit a new coffin tank, you will find one that will fit through your loft hatch.

If the old lid doesn't fit it might be due to the tank being out of shape and you will need a new tank anyway.

Andy

Just rockwool insulation on top.

I'm wary of getting a lid from another manufacturer as there's no guarantee it will fit anyway, unless they're all standard size and shape?

So would tarpaulin or plastic be adequate if I add weight across the top to keep it down? Thanks.

It turns out that the tank is bowed so no point in getting a new lid anyway. So yes, a new coffin tank looks to be the best solution. In the meantime, just as a short term fix to stop anything else contaminating the water, I'll get some plastic sheeting and put strips of plywood over it to keep it in place. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back