Home-made tank cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just install new plastic cold water tank. Unfortunately my neighbour who donated it couldn't find the lid. I was thinking of making one from 2" thick floor insulation (with the foil covering). I would automatically get the top insulated but would any condensation be contaminated?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
To comply with the law (water regs) you need a by-law 30 kit......you can get one from any major plumbing supplier

Or do like 99% of ones in existance -- a couple of wooden battens and a bit of fibreglass inside a black bag. Sod the law Be an anarchist:cool:

Or do like 99% of ones in existance -- a couple of wooden battens and a bit of fibreglass inside a black bag. s** the law Be an anarchist:cool:

and risk the rath of the plumbing police??? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately my neighbour who donated it couldn't find the lid. I was thinking of making one from 2" thick floor insulation (with the foil covering).

How much did that save you? A new tank would have cost £80 or £90.

The lid should be snap tight, to stop dust and insects getting in. Also, condensation forms on the inside of the lid; the correct lid should have drip mouldings, adjacent to the edges to direct the water droplets back into the tank. A makeshift lid will not have these and it will cause the tank & loft insulation to become damp/saturated.

The numerous bodged covers that one sees usually droop into the water and never keep the tank clean. I know of one house where there is a regular problem with small tufts of loft insulation blocking taps and service valves.

I'm sure you will have supported your'new' plastic tank on WBP plywood.

Properly installed a tank will last a lifetime. Buy a new tank and lid and do the job right; you'll never have to re-visit the nasty black lofts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back