Can you do a half open loft-conversion to create a mezzanine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This may seem like a silly question but I wanted to check before I start pestering the architect with yet another stupid idea!

We have ruled out a full loft conversion because there is only 2.3m from the top of first floor ceiling joists to the bottom of the ridge and quite frankly we don't feel we would get our money back on a full loft conversion on this particular property. However, I did have an idea to convert part of the loft to create a mezzanine to the master bedroom onto which we could do a quirky en-suite.

So the way I thought it could work would be to remove the ceiling over the master bedroom to create a vaulted ceiling space up into the roof, insulating and boarding it out with some nice timber reveals. We could then carry out necessary strengthening work to the ceiling joists over the bedroom which adjoins the master in order to use that ceiling as a floor onto which we build an en-suite. There would be an end wall to this mezzanine at the far end only so it would in effect be a balcony overlooking the master bedroom. We could then run a staircase up to it within the master bedroom.

My question is, does this partial loft conversion work? Essentially if a loft floor sits over some of the ceiling joists of the first floor and runs the full width of the building from wall to wall but not the full length of the building as most loft conversions would (to maximise footprint) is this structurally possible? Does it need RSJs or steels at each end because it isn't running the full length of the building for instance?

Obviously I will work with an architect and structural engineer to confirm the details, I just want to know if there is anything obvious in this idea that would make it a non-starter.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a great idea, I like it, also you'll have less issue with fire regs if it's all one room with below.
I'd say the architect will help with design and structurally it's difficult without knowing what to support things off.
Maybe some sketches or photos would help.

sounds great, have built a couple of mezzanines like this, but usually as sleeping spaces.
Considerations are supporting the roof structure as you will be taking out some of the ceiling ties- steel beam at ridge
mezzanine support- steel wall to wall with floor joists run back to existing wall.
stairway this will be restricted as the stair will need to emerge where there is sufficient headroom
Plumbing, where will you bring up water and where will waste go.

Sponsored Links
Hi Munzy

I hope you managed to finish your work in the bedroom. May I ask how that turned out in the end and if you are happy with the results? pros and cons? I am thinking to do something similar in my house but I don't find too much information about this particular loft conversion. Thank so much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back