Can you get 1 1/2”x2”cls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi framed out my door with 3x2 cls but now need to pack it out to fix facing onto it so need the above to save me ripping a length of 3x2 in half, would be easier to buy but will rip if not available

Sponsored Links
3x2 cls is 1.5"x2.5" 38x63mm
normal planed is 21mm/43mm/69mm
stud is100x48
so maybe a dfferent combination ??

Hi B-A

We have two sizes of "3 x 2" CLS, 44 x 70 and 38 x 63. Our merchant calls the smaller stuff "scant CLS". Seems the dry liners like it as backers to stiffen the doorway studs in 70mm metal framing studwork (us chippies run the larger stuff across a table saw to cut two grooves in it then slide it ontomthe stud lrg - dry liners, poor lambs, don't seem to know what a saw is)

Last edited by a moderator:
i stand corrected then i dont use much cls so only ever ask for "and a half" sizes :D
is this a new thing or am i more senile than i think ??:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its odd the UK uses the term CLS, Canadian Lumber Standard.

Sometimes comes in marked CLS on the timber in shipments from Canada. What I don't get is why some merchants call the 4 x 2 and 5 x 2 "versions" of it "MLM". I always thought that MLM was Montague L Meyer, a large timber merchant.

I can remember reading that the Canadians introduced it as a way to increase the value of the carcassing timber they export by adding additional machining. From a trade perspective there are speed advantages to working with nominally dimensioned, (supposedly) straight framing timbers and the lsck of sharp edges and splinters is a boon. I do wonder where B&Q get theirs from, though - I didn't think.banana pine grew in Canada

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back