can you have a damp proof course under Quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a water pipe leek under a quarry tiled floor :cry: ,it has been fixed and now the insurance company are going to fix the damage caused by the leek :LOL: .The house is a hundred years old and has no damp proof under the floor.I have been told that they might take up the floor, put in a damp proof course and lay a concrete floor to then carpet. I want to keep the Quarry tiles because they are in keeping with the house. Can they put a damp proof course in and then lay the Quarry tiles again or can't you have damp proof under quarry tiles. I feel they are doing what would be easier and cheaper.
Thanks for any comments and help :p

Sponsored Links
The need or desire for a DPM has nothing to do with the floor covering.

However, you might find that damp rises through a concrete oversite and screed and affects a carpet but not a tiled floor.

Bear in mind also that damp can rise between the slab and the wall, which is the reason that modern Building Regulations stipulate that any membrane is joined to the DPC in the wall.

THANKS VERY MUCH :D , I WILL TELL INSURANCE COMPANY THAT I WOULD LIKE DAMP PROOF PUT UNDER THE QUARRY TILES WHEN THEY ARE LAYED.

Sponsored Links
Rather than stipulate a detail like that, I suggest that you require the repairs to be done in accordance with the current Building Regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back