Can you help identify my shower?

Sponsored Links
That's a crosswater shower.
Looks like the crosswater sol cartridge.

PT N0 GP 0012174

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses. Just found the cartridge on showerdoc and it certainly looks like it.

The reason I'm replacing the valve is because it seems to be allowing cold mains into the hot water circuit even when the combi is isolated. The shower has been getting colder over the last few months.

The shower is about 12 years old and was fitted long before the combi boiler.
Do you know if this type of valve is compatible with a combi system?

could be (a missing ?) non return valve sticking rather than your cartridge .

Thanks Picasso. How could I check the non return valve? Is this within the cartridge so replacing the cartridge would fix anyway?

if you have access to the supply pipes to the shower run the shower until the supply pipe is hot, turn the shower off and open a hot tap that you say is running lukewarm, put your hand on the hot supply to the shower and if the non return valve is kaput you will feel the hot pipe go cold as the cold passes into the hot system.

ps the nrv,s are not part of the cartridge , they are normally found on the supply pipe connections of the shower but you can fit external ones.

Yes that is the problem. We have proved that cold water is flowing into the hot water system.
This has only become noticeable over the last few months though and was ok for a number of years before that. I don't think we have non return valve fitted.

Could it be caused by an increase in the cold water pressure as this was increased earlier this year when a new washing machine was fitted?

Probably the quickiest and easiest way of solving your problem would be to fit a couple of nrvs on the hot and cold supplies to the shower and if you still have problems change the cartridge.

Dont disagree its probably the cartridge but as the cartridge is around £80 and a couple of nrv which should be fitted anyway are about a £5 I think I would fit the nrvs first.

Hi John,

Thanks for your post. I have the exact same problem with, what looks like, the exact same shower valve. Mine is a slightly different colour and knob style, but the black temp. ring and the red button is identical to the failing unit i have.

It never had much response when turning the temp control. We have owned the home for 2 years (8 year old home) and we could slightly adjust the temp, but now the shower is always too cold and can get it only to lukewarm....not good :(. It really only got really bad in the last 2 weeks. But before it was never right. Sometimes we would have to crank it all the way up to 50C to have a decently warm shower. And we run our house hot water very hot. So it's not a boiler issue.

so i was wondering, did you end up replacing that cartridge that was recommended? did it do the trick?

Let me know. since i have to do something with mine.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back