Can you help identify this tile? + roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please help identify these tiles so i cant try to find some replacements. These are in Salford greater manchester and a lot of the houses here are the same so i assume ill be able to get them

found water in the hallway recently from the loft (no water pipes up there) So I got up for my first proper nose around. right away I found a large hole at least as big as a tile pictured below. I also spotted some more light getting in down in one of the corners, so I assume there is another hole down that way. the loft is pretty dry and from the inside the felt looks in good condition except for where the tile is missing. so im guessing i should be able to just replace the tiles that need replacing after patching the felt. Ive done the usual forum searching and you tube watching, and it doesn't strike me as a job I cant do myself as long as i'm careful at the height.

Couple of questions tho.

Does anyone know of a good resource for repairing the felt? and what type I should use?

I dont have access to get up from the outside at the moment, so I cant see how many tiles will need replacing, would you guys take a guess or would you always go to count? if two or three are missing or shattered, im assuming im going to find quite a lot need replacing.

What would be most recommended for working this high? I have access to a builders ladder which is much taller than the house wall with feet about 1m wide for stability, however i don't know how much I like the idea of doing this up a ladder. I also have a climbing harness and rope as i'm a climber and used to rope work, but i couldn't really say how i would intend to fix the rope if i used one. (any suggestions?)

Other options I assume would be scaffold or machinery from a hire shop which would be able to get access, but im assuming the cost might be prohibitive.

what would you use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Health and safety equipment cost prohibitive!!!!!!! only you can decide what value you put on your own life. The tiles look like double roman to me.

The underfelt looks like type 1F underslating felt, and the holes seem to be where the laps have "shrunk". You could probably fix this from inside by sliding cuttings of new felt up, making sure it's lapped such that any water would fall on top of the lower strip, ie under the top strip but over the lower strip.

heres a tile example took one down off the roof

its 33 x 42 cm

do they look like something i should be able to find easily enough?

daft question, should i colour match the original colour of the tile from underneath, or should i find something that matches the new colour of the tile? to make it blend in now?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Marley catalogue, looks like Catlad's on the money with double romans.

Not a roof I'd like to repair or quote to repair, the tiles are far too brittle to walk/work on.

One I'd gladly walk away from.

These tiles were indeed marley double Romans which I was able to get from a local supplier. Spent last saturday up on the roof with a fellow climber replacing broken ones. replaced 9 in total including a couple that broke under foot. Was able to climb up to a flat roof at the back of the house and then rig up some ropes around two chimneys to act as two anchor points and work safley on the roof.

total cost not including the climbing gear that I already owned, was £20 and to be fair the job i did was way better than some of the botch jobs i found and repaired while I was up there!

Fair Play to you ! - Catlad has a valid point but ... if you are a climber you've got a lot more savvy than the average Sky Dish Fitter who ponces around in total PPE including a full body harness :rolleyes: They probably moonlight as gimps :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back