can you just paint over lead paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at repairing an old 1960's timber greenhouse, and the timber is all pretty solid (Cedar i think) but the paint is very flaky and pealing, it leaves white on your hands and cloths if you rub against it. Can i just paint over it with something like Zinsser 123 or B.I.N, to encapsulate the lead paint and make it safer. I'd prefer not to have to strip the entire frame as it will take months. Are there any alternatives to Zinsser as it's quite pricey?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've been told by the previous owner it was lead paint and the fact it was put up in the 1960's when it was common to use lead paint. And i don't think has been stripped and repainted since. I did look at one of those test kits but they are quite pricey and i'm 95% sure it is.

I'm not sure a wooden greenhouse that hasn't been re-painted since the 1960s would have much paint left on it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back