Can you lay LVT planks over laminate click planks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have QuickStep UniClic laminate flooring. A water leak has damaged some of the planks and caused them to 'bubble' so we are thinking of replacing it as we can't get the same colour anymore.

We've heard that LVT planks can be put straight on top of an existing floor without the need for an expansion gap. We're attracted to this idea to minimise disruption/costs. The flooring we like is (1) Karndean Looselay wood style planks and (2) Howden's LVT oak planks with integrated underlay.

Is this true? Could either of these go straight on top of our existing floor? If so, does anyone have any experience of either of these floorings? If it can't be put on top, then what would need to be done to prepare the floor for the LVT?

Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah I wouldn't the floor needs to be near perfect even for click lvt as the underlay is only 1mm

Sponsored Links
Karndean looselay would be ok. I used that on my daughter bedroom over laminate. Glued down with f46 adhesive straight to the laminate

That's interesting Dazlight. Think ours is classed as a floating floor. Does this make any difference?

Sorry for all the questions, but if we were starting from scratch would the floor need screeding? I can't remember what they did when they put the uniclic stuff down. Just wondering how big a job it's going to turn into.

The quote I put in above was from the Karndean looselay installation guide. It specifically says to remove the laminate including any underlay.

The quote I put in above was from the Karndean looselay installation guide. It specifically says to remove the laminate including any underlay.
The tiles are much thicker than regular Karndean so you can get away with it from the POV that any very minor surface patterns won't show through. I did it to quickly tart up a small downstairs toilet and bathroom before putting the house on the market and it was fine. Wouldn't personally do it in a house I intended to stay in, but the floor was fine. I'd definitely glue it down though as dazlight suggests.

So, I've been doing a bit more homework. Seems like Karndean Rigid can be installed over most floors. Would this be suitable do you think to go over the laminate click planks we have?

Thanks again for all the replies - really appreciated.

All laminate is a floating floor. Like I said it worked ok for me in my house. I wouldn’t do it for a customer though.

So, I've been doing a bit more homework. Seems like Karndean Rigid can be installed over most floors. Would this be suitable do you think to go over the laminate click planks we have?

Thanks again for all the replies - really appreciated.
No mate as that’s a floating floor over a floating floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back