Flooring advice for L-shaped hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Blank diagram.png

Hi all

Above diagram shows hallway in my parents' new house. They want to replace existing carpet with either laminate or vinyl. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I've previously laid laminate in basic rooms with 1-2 doors and in connecting rooms thru doorways, but this seems a bigger problem with the sheer number of doors. Regardless of flooring choice, plan is to pop the skirtings and undercut the architraves/linings.

Firstly, the subfloor. It is tiled and seems very sound. I'd be happy to lay directly over it. Laminate plus underlay would give me roughly the same height of the existing finish, meaning no ugly gaps under doors. Vinyl, even the thicker stuff ~7mm would leave it pretty low. Any suggestions how to bring up the level?

Secondly, the orientation. I think the correct way is to start on the far top left corner of the diagram, long side of the planks going left-to-right on the longest part of the wall. Which is pretty easy until I get around the corner into the other part of the room. I would then be laying short planks across the room, navigating doorways on both sides. I can't visualise how this would be possible. Even if I shuffle the entire floor temporarily into the 10mm expansion gaps, I'm not sure its enough play to get the planks under both architraves/lining legs.

I've never laid LVT planks - is there any more flex or play in them than laminate?

Another option I considered was glue-down LVT - if I don't have to click anything together then it seems like it would be a doddle to handle the doorways. Any tips here?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If the tiles are stone/ceramic you can screed over them to raise the level, check how much height you need and that the self levelling screed you use is suitable to build height with, or if level then Laminate and underlay over the top.

Personally I would avoid LVT click type floors.

Glue down LVT will be simple to install but the subfloor needs to be perfectly level and of course height will be alot lower than Laminate etc so you may have to deal with building the height up as required.

A lot depends on just what the existing tiles are.

Sounds good. I suppose it comes down to whether screed + glue-down LVT or fiddling with laminate will take the most time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back