Flooring Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it, there is a definite ‘hump’ as you move from extension to main room.

This is at 90 degrees to plank run.
Going to need to relay flooring ...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate ?

Sponsored Links
first thing is to determine the cause of the hump?

The cause of the hump is a difference in level in the 2 screeds as they pass over what was the external wall and is now walkway between 2 rooms.
Originally 'extension' had wooden block flooring and main room carpet - any difference did not show. This was replaced with laminate flooring about 12 years ago ....you can feel the slight bump as you go from room to the extension. I do not intend re-laying the screed ...... that would mean removing skirtings and re-plastering.
Just replacing the laminate flooring.

so with block flooring in the extension the floors were level? the block FFL was level so to speak with the carpet surface in the main room?
do you intend to leave the laminate down or lift it, and replace it with some other kind of flooring?

pics would help?

Sponsored Links
Pics would not add anything ...... I tried you can't see any 'hump' in the pics
Image running form outside wall .... screed comes in level across extension and raises slightly as it crosses over cavity wall, then back to level.
Was not noticed when block flooring & carpet were there.
I want to remove the laminate and lay a new flooring across the complete room .... just considering whether to use laminate with maybe a 1 mm underlay over hump and 3mm either side to smooth it out. Or just stick down a vinyl flooring that will flex easily over the hump

the point of my request for pics is that they might tell me something?

Sorry I do not have any pics that show the issue.
Also any pic I took of floor would not show this up.

Use rigid underlay, at 5mm thick you can span the levels and remove a little from the bottom as it passes over the high spot.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back