Can you plaster on top of white wash(dusty paint!)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have stripped the wallpaper from our room and it needs walls and ceiling re-plastering so I have got a couple of quotes in.

One of the guys has stated that the ceiling will need to be boarded as it has been white washed with an old paint (house 1950s) that basically is dust, it comes off if you rub your hands on it. Is it true that if you plastered on top of it the plaster would start to fall off in around 6 weeks?

The other guy is a friend of my brothers mate didn't mention boarding the ceiling, which may just be because he didn't notice the paint or could it be that it is not a problem?

Advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes otherwise known as distemper it was just chalk bound with a size glue.
The glue gives up and you have almost pure chalk needs through washing ideally with sugar soap till it is removed horrible job working overhead.
There are stabilisers that can help if you are painting over but if you are plastering just overboard and skim.
:D

Yes otherwise known as distemper it was just chalk bound with a size glue.
The glue gives up and you have almost pure chalk needs through washing ideally with sugar soap till it is removed horrible job working overhead.
There are stabilisers that can help if you are painting over but if you are plastering just overboard and skim.
:D

Ok thanks I was afraid the other guy just hadn't noticed, would the boarding add much to the cost of a job the room is only small about 9 and half foot by 7 and half?

If it does how easy would it be if I did it myself?

Definitely overboard if the distemper is as loose as you say.
Plasterboard has a mind of its own when you are trying to hold and fix it.....I'd definitely get someone in and the job will be done in a flash.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Plaster-boarding will not add much to he cost of a skim and the result will be much better, less chance of old cracks showing through. ;)
And as said well worth getting a plaster in, plastering is not really a diy job and ceilings are the worst to do, a professional will do it in no time well worth his cost :D

Thanks guys, should I be worried that the first plasterer missed the problem. The quote I have had from him was £250 (not including any overboarding) and the quote from the guy that spotted it was £450.

I can't really afford £450 for a small room as most of the house will need replastering as we do it up but I also don't just want to go with the cheapest person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back