Can you put an expansion joint in existing concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built a small film studio inside a warehouse (room within a room) that needs to be soundproof to stop noise coming in. The guy next door is a music producer and despite adding all kinds of sound proof materials to my build and the party wall some bass is still coming through. I'm told by an expert it's coming through the floor.

We share the same concrete floor and because the unit was originally intended as one with party wall added later, there is no expansion joint between me and him.

There is now only 1m 'corridor' between the back of my studio and the party wall so limited room to work.

Is it feasible to cut out a joint in the existing concrete floor? I believe it's about 100mm thick and the length of the party wall is around 10m.

I'd it messy? Will it involve a lot of water to cool the cutter and will that make it impractical around my studio?

Happy to get someone in if needs be but don't even know where to ask. If I do get someone in are we talking thousands and weeks or hundreds and days?

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
In cutting the existing concrete floor, you may compromise its serviceability, eg there may be mesh in it, or you may cut through any damp-proof membrane etc.
Can you build a separate (floating) floor in your own unit, so that it is isolated from the existing floor?

Thanks. I've got a spec for a floating floor but I'm thinking it won't address the fact the walls of the studio are sitting on top of the concrete. I did put a strip of rubber under the studs (cut up washing machine vibration pads) but with hindsight it's probably my not enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back