Can you recommend a good plumber in Reading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone recommend a good experienced "Water Only" Plumber in Reading? more recommendations the better!

What I would consider as a good recommendation would be someone who is reliable, knows his stuff, has been in the job for a while and doesn't break the bank every time you ask him to come around to do a small job!

At this moment I am looking for a water only plumber, ie, NOT gas safe - I will at some stage put out a request for a separate gas plumber as need to get my boiler changed.

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Most GS reg people can do water based jobs as well.

I suspect you hope to find someone who will be cheaper because he is not gas reg. You might but the difference is likely to be small.

"Not breaking the bank" can mean anything.

Unless someone is in the same street its unlikely anyone will do much for less than £30.

Tony

op, find someone who has done an apprenticeship and served his time.

They will be both a qualified gas engineer and a 'water only' plumber. You are in cowboy territory trying to get one or the other.

I know of GSR engineers who don't know how to properly use a pipe bender or know anything about heating systems.

Sponsored Links
I would have expected anyone who is good at what he does to charge about the same.

Houses, petrol and food all cost the same for an RGI as a wet plumber.

Working in his own business he will have pretty much the same operating costs and need to earn about the same.

Tony

Most plumbers SE and Company charge around £40-45 hr whereas RGIs are around £65 plus

Agile is famous for £84 hour, no-one in their right mind would pay that to change a tap washer.

I certainly wouldn't get an RGI for plumbing jobs :rolleyes:

A good plumber will be half the cost of an RGI.

How do you work that out? There are RGI's doing BG services for £18. I don't think anyone would change a WC syphon or replace a kitchen mixer for that.

If that is true they are raving idiots/mugs.

You can get that as a minimum on the cards.

Most plumbers SE and Company charge around £40-45 hr whereas RGIs are around £65 plus

A lot will depend on the task. The rate will be affected by how close or far the plumbing job concerned is to being DIY-able.

Agile is famous for £84 hour, no-one in their right mind would pay that to change a tap washer.

My £84 is a fixed price diagnostic fee for however long it takes and NOT per hour.

RGIs tend to charge more per hour because their jobs are usually quicker ones and so the travelling time becomes more significant.

Most plumbers are doing jobs taking several hours or days so traveling time is less important.

Firms like Pimlico plumbers charge a lot for tap washers but its up to the
customer to choose to employ them or not.

Yes Tonny but how much per hr to change a rad. I bet I can find a good plumber for half your rate.

By design and a shed load of ACS etc every 5 years plus gassafe every year an rgis running cost will always be conciderably more than a plumber.

If you are doing 9-10 jobs a day your running cost (bus pass) will also be higher but then you may do 9-10 times more miles per day than you average plumber.

Whatever the plumbers rate is considerably lower than an RGI and always should be.

Yes Tonny but how much per hr to change a rad. I bet I can find a good plumber for half your rate.

Then you'll be scratching your head as to why it doesn't heat up after the system is left riddled with trapped air cos' your plumber hasn't the time to bring it to temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back